Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   1.6 auto V70 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=271616)

Watchnut Aug 14th, 2017 19:04

1.6 auto V70

Hello there all,

I currently enjoy a 1999 2.5 V70 XLD which I have had from new. It has only done 210k, but, being practical I am on the look for another V70.....should it decide to die (no advisories last MOT) :)

I like the idea of the 1.6 diesel auto (is it called a powershift?), and was wondering if any here has had one/has one, and what they are like?

We love our old barge (the wife uses it as her daily driver, and really likes it), but there will come a time over the next however long we need to replace it

my budget is between 10 and 12k depending on the car spec. If they are good as our current one which has cost us very little over the years then I would be happy to buy second hand, as new they are now silly money

Does the 1.6 engine have enough to "go"? we don't thrash ours and if you want a car like this then normally power is not an issue, but can an 1.6 auto cope with the weight of this car /size etc...is the auto box good?, are the MPG figures like the tin says?

we currently get great MPG from our old un, so if it is some 10-15 mpg better that would be fantastic.......but are the newer V70's better than our 1999 classic?

cheers

Timbotambo Aug 15th, 2017 11:55

I have a 2012 1.6D, facelift version, manual SE lux. Whether or not it's enough power is entirely personal preference - do you want to occasionally race from the lights or overtake easily? Then not the car for you. I find it perfectly adequate with enough poke if needed especially on the move.

At my budget, I could have had a pre-facelift with less toys but bigger engine, or facelift with all the toys but the 1.6 - I chose the latter and don't regret it. I'd only get this engine again in an auto though as can be sometimes a bit hard work given the size of the car on small rural roads.

Fulham Aug 16th, 2017 14:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Watchnut (Post 2308498)
Hello there all,

I currently enjoy a 1999 2.5 V70 XLD which I have had from new. It has only done 210k, but, being practical I am on the look for another V70.....should it decide to die (no advisories last MOT) :)

I like the idea of the 1.6 diesel auto (is it called a powershift?), and was wondering if any here has had one/has one, and what they are like?

We love our old barge (the wife uses it as her daily driver, and really likes it), but there will come a time over the next however long we need to replace it

my budget is between 10 and 12k depending on the car spec. If they are good as our current one which has cost us very little over the years then I would be happy to buy second hand, as new they are now silly money

Does the 1.6 engine have enough to "go"? we don't thrash ours and if you want a car like this then normally power is not an issue, but can an 1.6 auto cope with the weight of this car /size etc...is the auto box good?, are the MPG figures like the tin says?

we currently get great MPG from our old un, so if it is some 10-15 mpg better that would be fantastic.......but are the newer V70's better than our 1999 classic?

cheers

I got 28mpg out of my old 2009 v70 2.4d. The quoted mpg was 56mpg combined. I'd be vary wary of the quoted mpg in your new one, especially considering the autobox Volvo use being quite content to leave you in low gear for way too long when accelerating. Mum has the exact same engine in the lighter Citroen C4 and get's 45mpg mixed. It's a great engine, my only advice is at the weight of the V70, i reckon you'd be lucky to hit 150k miles so find a low mileage variant.

zuper Aug 16th, 2017 15:28

2013 D2 SE auto, can't agree more (with Timbo).

drove down to Italy fully loaded with 2 kids and luggage, even went up the Alps to avoid tunnels...could have not been happier :)

tried it of course before buying...and decided to buy it :)

Billggski Aug 17th, 2017 22:05

I've a 2015 D2 auto, very pleased so far.
Big engines seem pointless nowadays.

apersson850 Aug 18th, 2017 10:58

At least when they were sold here, the cars with the D2 engines had a max towing capacity of 1300 kg. So for me, they are completely useless.

Billggski Aug 18th, 2017 20:44

Must be something local.
http://support.volvocars.com/uk/cars...a801e8011f8ab3

Rooster Aug 18th, 2017 22:51

Run away run away very fast,

One things for sure the powershift box will die long before the 210k you have on your current car, just have a google "ford powershift issues"

Better off with any Volvo 5 banger than one of them

Clan Aug 18th, 2017 23:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Watchnut (Post 2308498)
Hello there all,

cheers

I would go up just one step , 2004 V70 163 bhp D5 manual if you can manage one ...... save a shedfull of money , better quality everywhere , less troubles ... Great fuel consumption similar to the 1.6 D ( D2 ) and a fast cross country car when you need it ..

apersson850 Aug 19th, 2017 11:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billggski (Post 2309981)

They have changed it for later models, it seems. Switch car to a 2012 year model and open the user's manual. Look at page 369 for a DRIVe, as they were called back then.

My car is a 2012, so I remember what was current at that time.