Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Correct / Recommended oil (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=307768)

madspark01 Jul 10th, 2020 16:48

Correct / Recommended oil

got a bit of a fright when pricing service kit for my 2012 xc90 r design (200)
even with heavy discount from my mate also he says his system recommends Castrol ( heard many opinions on Castrol ).
service kit for my old c4 grand Picasso ( £48 all in ) Volvo more than twice that but yes more than twice the car

cheshired5 Jul 10th, 2020 17:22

If you have a D5, it's most likely B5 spec oil (check your owner's manual) which is expensive but as long as you match the spec and the allowed viscosity you may get a reasonable deal across a range of decent oil brands.

Tannaton Jul 10th, 2020 17:35

I use this in my D5's, have done for 5 years, does the job and reasonably priced :

https://www.commaoil.com/passenger-v...ducts/view/171

Every time someone asks about oils, usually a great debate ensues, but realistically I don't think we've seen anyone on here in the last 5 years that needed a new engine because they got the spec slightly wrong or left it too long. I'm not suggesting you should be sanguine about it but there are many better value options than Castrol Edge.

Danielpsmith Jul 10th, 2020 18:12

I usually go to car spares I get the oil 0-30 a5 b5 spec, air filter, oil filter and a fuel filter and it’s no more than £80 and get the garage to service it when it’s mot time.

Been using it for 6 years now.

Daniel

Dibble Jul 10th, 2020 22:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by madspark01 (Post 2646346)
got a bit of a fright when pricing service kit for my 2012 xc90 r design (200)
even with heavy discount from my mate also he says his system recommends Castrol ( heard many opinions on Castrol ).
service kit for my old c4 grand Picasso ( £48 all in ) Volvo more than twice that but yes more than twice the car

Look up Opie Oils and merely put in your Reg No and they will tell you the oil you require and delivered to you. I have used Castrol throughout my motoring life without any problems and it is my oil of choice and also recommended by Volvo. In addition, there is the classic story of Irv Gordon (he sadly died last year in China), a teacher from New York, who bought a P1800 in 1966 and completed over 3 million 250 thousand miles and he used Castrol GTX and Volvo filters throughout its life. It is recorded in the Guinness Book of records. Basically, if it was good enough for Irv it will certainly be good enough for me! You wont go far wrong.

madspark01 Jul 11th, 2020 19:04

my car has 129k on it with dealer history till 100k then independent since and runs great. I intend to have for at least the next 3 years and although I only covered 9k in 4 year with my last car and as some of the time its short runs. I would prefer to use best quality oil and change a lot more frequently. my van servicing states 18k but I do oil every 9k or sooner ( runs like a Swiss watch ) I put this down to frequent oil, filter and fuel filter changes. I my van I use millers oil and fuel conditioner has anyone had experience with fuel conditioner in the d5??
The full service kit for xc90 with Castrol was £104 does that sound decent
2 x 4l Castrol edge 0w/30 A5/B5
oil filter
fuel filter
air filter
pollen filter

Kev0607 Jul 12th, 2020 00:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by madspark01 (Post 2646565)
my car has 129k on it with dealer history till 100k then independent since and runs great. I intend to have for at least the next 3 years and although I only covered 9k in 4 year with my last car and as some of the time its short runs. I would prefer to use best quality oil and change a lot more frequently. my van servicing states 18k but I do oil every 9k or sooner ( runs like a Swiss watch ) I put this down to frequent oil, filter and fuel filter changes. I my van I use millers oil and fuel conditioner has anyone had experience with fuel conditioner in the d5??
The full service kit for xc90 with Castrol was £104 does that sound decent
2 x 4l Castrol edge 0w/30 A5/B5
oil filter
fuel filter
air filter
pollen filter

The service kit sounds reasonably priced, especially taking into account that the Castrol oil alone would equate to a hefty chunk of it.

There's mixed reviews on fuel conditioners though really... Some people use them & claim that they're brilliant & others say don't use them at all.

JamesS44 Jul 12th, 2020 20:31

I've used Castrol Edge A5/B5 for the last couple of years, but seriously considering using Smith and Allen A5/B5 which is extremely good value at £64.49 for 20litres on Ebay

I have used Smith and Allen for g/box, diff and power steering fluids so far and no complaint from me.

https://www.smithandallan.com/produc...car-motor-oil/

Anyone used Smith and Allen A5/B5 for engine oil?

sda2489 Jul 13th, 2020 10:13

That is cheap....

Very tempting...

Montana Jul 13th, 2020 12:01

I have also gone down the bulk 20L route with my D5 (Westway oils 0w30 A5/B5) - its by far the most cost effective option, you will pay that from OO for a single change (rather than 3)