Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   x40 S1 Wants (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   1.9d italian tuning box (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=198874)

vtrsean Feb 12th, 2014 00:42

1.9d italian tuning box

On the look for one of these any about?

Samwell Feb 12th, 2014 17:14

For which mk of diesel engine?

I have a German one which is basically the same, made by CR-BOX.de (search for that on ebay). Paid £70 which turned out to be more like £90 as I had to send it back to get the right one with the plug on the end.

Im not certain if I want to sell it just yet, I enjoyed having it on in the summer but if I dont get a job soon I may have to (within the next week or 2). Its less than 1 year old and was fitted for about 5 months.

vtrsean Feb 12th, 2014 23:35

Its 1.9d s 102bhp but as i know it the 102 and the 115 are the same bar the mapping

philrocks Feb 13th, 2014 11:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by vtrsean (Post 1581960)
Its 1.9d s 102bhp but as i know it the 102 and the 115 are the same bar the mapping

I was informed that we also have different turbos, i did some research as i'm planning on getting mine remapped.

Samwell Feb 13th, 2014 17:43

Its down to the fuel rail connections.. seemingly there are a few different layouts, apparently for the same engine!

vtrsean Feb 13th, 2014 23:21

Ill check my handbook injectors and turbo are the same i beleive

skyship007 Feb 14th, 2014 06:10

I think fitting a tuning box is not fully Kosher in the EU updated MOT (Same with EGR deletes and using the wrong CAT). They will boot it in the emissions test after warm up and if it is fitted, it will fail even before the bonnet is lifted.
If you use a new MAP that increases the power beyond the Renault design spec of 130 hp, what you get is a Laguna 1.9TD and they have lots of expensive cooling and turbo issues.
Some Fleabay ones can cause the ECU to go into limp home mode, so most cheaper MAP's and boxes get binned by owners for causing more trouble than a K&N.

The two engines are almost the same BUT the exhaust system and MAP and electrics are slightly different.

bigboz Feb 14th, 2014 10:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyship007 (Post 1582884)
I think fitting a tuning box is not fully Kosher in the EU updated MOT (Same with EGR deletes and using the wrong CAT). They will boot it in the emissions test after warm up and if it is fitted, it will fail even before the bonnet is lifted.
If you use a new MAP that increases the power beyond the Renault design spec of 130 hp, what you get is a Laguna 1.9TD and they have lots of expensive cooling and turbo issues.
Some Fleabay ones can cause the ECU to go into limp home mode, so most cheaper MAP's and boxes get binned by owners for causing more trouble than a K&N.

The two engines are almost the same BUT the exhaust system and MAP and electrics are slightly different.

I have had plenty of cars re-mapped and none of them ever failed on an emissions test. A proper re-map of any description be it "kosher"...by this is mean one that actually interfaces with the ECU, be it a piggy back ecu or direct software manipulation, or not, and not just a resistor that increases fueling, (usually known on ebay as a "chip tune") should have very little emissions differences.

The 2 Vag TDI's that i had remapped (both 1.9TD PDI 130's one star chipped to 170, the other some no mallet Bradford remapping place to 160) were both cleaner at the tail pipe than standard

baldmosher Feb 14th, 2014 10:50

You gotta remember, the default setting since 2001 was "lowest CO2 possible for the textbook/VED class", so anything else within legal limits is permissible

My last one (F9Q) was remapped/retuned and never a hint of failure on emissions.

If in doubt, just remove it before the MOT.....

I've got an Italian tuning box on the way to me, someone on here was looking to sell theirs as he decided to take it off, look for mitch1987's thread about it in the main x40 forum

philrocks Feb 14th, 2014 14:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by vtrsean (Post 1582784)
Ill check my handbook injectors and turbo are the same i beleive

Can you verify this please, i would like to know if they mechanically identical.

Cheers

Phil