Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   XC90: Engine coolant loss (2015 new model) (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=298316)

JF1 Sep 5th, 2019 17:08

Engine coolant loss (2015 new model)

Hi,

I bought a 2015 XC90 last year. There has been a problem with engine coolant loss since I purchased it. The red light comes on. I have had it with the Volvo dealer on three occassions and I think they replaced the sump on the time. Anyway it light is on again this morning but has gone off since.

Anybody know anything about this problem?

The coolant is topped up by me when it goes down but it is either leaking or burning coolant.

green van man Sep 5th, 2019 19:03

Didn't the vea engine have a problem with the EGR valve cooler leaking, seem to remember something from the early V60 VEA engines.

If you have a D5 look at the radiator bottom corners as that is the common leak point.

Paul.

JF1 Sep 5th, 2019 22:22

Thanks. Could it be possible that the coolant is leaking into the engine?

green van man Sep 6th, 2019 06:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by JF1 (Post 2551243)
Thanks. Could it be possible that the coolant is leaking into the engine?

Yes, that is always a possibility, if you have a dipstick look for signs of water in the oil, also look for scum under the filler cap on the rocker box and breather pipes.. it's not a failsafe method but indicative. Other alternate is get your garage to do a pressure check.

Paul.

Clan Sep 6th, 2019 11:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by JF1 (Post 2551182)
Hi,

I bought a 2015 XC90 last year. There has been a problem with engine coolant loss since I purchased it. The red light comes on. I have had it with the Volvo dealer on three occassions and I think they replaced the sump on the time. Anyway it light is on again this morning but has gone off since.

Anybody know anything about this problem?

The coolant is topped up by me when it goes down but it is either leaking or burning coolant.

You have to look at a worst case scenario here , You have bought someone else's problem who knew exactly what was wrong before selling it to you ..., possibly cracked cylinder liner/s where the head seals ...

JF1 Sep 6th, 2019 13:12

Thanks for that. There was a 3/4L loss of coolant over the last 2 months. we were onto garage today. They have looked at the problem and are surprised and said that they are now suspecting a head gasket problem. I bought this car in the UK from a "reputable" Volvo dealer. The catalytic converter also went about 4 months after purchase but that is probably hard luck. I have a Volvo warranty expiring at the end of next week. Any advice would be appreciated. I am based in Ireland!

FunkyMelon Sep 6th, 2019 13:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by JF1 (Post 2551356)
I have a Volvo warranty expiring at the end of next week. Any advice would be appreciated. I am based in Ireland!

Surely, if you have Volvo warranty, you can just give it to them, explain what's happening and say find and fix my problem and it'll be FOC?

JF1 Sep 6th, 2019 14:14

I have it in again for the garage on Monday. Wouldn't like the warranty to run out and then have a major engine problem outside of warranty.

Clan Sep 6th, 2019 14:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by JF1 (Post 2551356)
Thanks for that. There was a 3/4L loss of coolant over the last 2 months. we were onto garage today. They have looked at the problem and are surprised and said that they are now suspecting a head gasket problem. I bought this car in the UK from a "reputable" Volvo dealer. The catalytic converter also went about 4 months after purchase but that is probably hard luck. I have a Volvo warranty expiring at the end of next week. Any advice would be appreciated. I am based in Ireland!

You need to take it promptly back , tell them how much you are topping it up , tell them you suspect the top of the cylinder liners might not be sealing and let them have it until they have fixed it . any warranty job they do is only guaranteed until the warranty runs out .. so they might claim to have fixed it and you find time goes on , warranty runs out and you still have the problem . They need to bite the bullet and get the head off after doing their standard cooling system leak tests .

JF1 Sep 6th, 2019 14:33

Clan

thanks for that. I am taking it back Monday and will send an e mail in advance along the lines of your suggestion.