Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Engine 850: B5254S/2.4/20v: Engine top mount (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=288429)

benali Nov 10th, 2018 12:10

Engine top mount

After having several motor top mounts over the years on my 2.4t. I thought I'd try and fix the wearing out problem for good anhttps://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/FHIAA...L-/s-l1600.jpgd purchased a poly replacement
6 months and the poly bush looks like this.
Any ideas?

ITSv40 Nov 10th, 2018 14:09

Change the driver :)

There is something seriously amiss there as the engine should not rock about to cause that amount of damage. Have you checked all the other engine mounts? If there is any wear in any of those - that will put extra torque on the top mount.

benali Nov 10th, 2018 14:23

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing.
Is it 2 (lower front and back) large drum shape mounts.
Pretty difficult to check aren't they?
Also difficult to change i guess.

volvo again Nov 10th, 2018 14:53

Check all the other engine/gearbox mounts, something is allowing the engine to rock far too much...maybe, dare I say...the way you drive it ???

ITSv40 Nov 10th, 2018 18:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by benali (Post 2465526)
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing.
Is it 2 (lower front and back) large drum shape mounts.
Pretty difficult to check aren't they?
Also difficult to change i guess.

You don't say what model of car you have, so may be different to what I am familiar with.

My C70 has the top mount, two lower mounts - one back and front of the bellhousing/gearbox. One under the crankshaft pully and a 'Bonio' shaped tiebar underneath and at the back of the engine.

I would renew all of them as a matter of course and hopefully that will cure the issues. No idea how difficult the job is as I have not had to change them.

Also, where your topmount attaches to the painted metal bracket, you need to check the scuttle end of the bracket as there is also a small mounting bush bolted to the scuttle. HTH.

happy diver Nov 11th, 2018 11:06

Well mate when you buy a mount that obviously doesn't fit
damage it by forcing the bracket to just slip the bolt into it
and then guarantee its destruction by splitting it tightening

There are no ideas!

benali Nov 11th, 2018 11:07

Yes, same C70 GT.
Pretty sure its the 2 front and rear bell shaped mounts.
Has anybody done these to give me an idea of the difficulty level?

volvo again Nov 11th, 2018 13:27

Fairly easy to change engine / box mounts, you'll need a trolley jack to take weight of the engine while you remove the old ones, simple nut & bolt job.
They may look okay until you get them off then you can see if they are really damaged

Cookeh Nov 11th, 2018 13:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by volvo again (Post 2465788)
Fairly easy to change engine / box mounts, you'll need a trolley jack to take weight of the engine while you remove the old ones, simple nut & bolt job.
They may look okay until you get them off then you can see if they are really damaged

Don't forget to spread the pressure from the jack onto the oilpans - they are notoriously thin and very easy to puncture. Simple block of wood does wonders.

SteveSarre Nov 13th, 2018 21:16

Hi Benali

There must be something else causing that top mount to fail so badly.

I would revert to a standard (not blue poylurethane) mount until you have found out what is going on. Make you sure you buy the correct mount for your VIN (probably get a mount complete with its aluminium housing). With a new top mount in, can you rock the engine around?

In your case I would suspect the mount under the crank pulley. Easy to replace. Also look at the knuckle mount under the gearbox. That's also easy.

In my experience changing the lower rear mount on a V70 T5 can be awkward because you will struggle to get enough clearance to get the old mount out and the new one in. Dont know about a T or 850.
Lower front is easier.

HTH
Steve