Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   XC70: Electrical Fob Stuck In Dash, Won't Start (Auto) - Remedy (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=297252)

Motorhate Aug 3rd, 2019 22:19

Fob Stuck In Dash, Won't Start (Auto) - Remedy

OK, symptoms of the problem I was having this evening:

2008 Volvo XC70 D5 AWD

1. Key fob in dash
2. Foot on brake
3. Press ignition button
4. Nothing

Error message saying put gearstick in PARK (even though it was in PARK)
Gear knob stuck in PARK - cannot be moved into NEUTRAL
Key fob can't be removed due to error message

Solution:

1. Open bonnet / hood
2. Disconnect EARTH terminal from battery
3. Wait approx 30 seconds (you may hear a bleep)
4. Reconnect EARTH terminal
5. Start car

This worked for me tonight, suggesting it was electrical problem and a reset of the system fixed it. I had a problem before where the stereo wouldn't work, it just stopped for no reason at all. Disconnecting the EARTH reset something and the stereo started working again. It's been working OK for a year so far now.

If the key fob / gear issue re-occurs I'll let you know but for now, it appears to be fixed.

Sahodgson Aug 3rd, 2019 23:37

Battery on its way out?

pierremcalpine Aug 4th, 2019 13:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sahodgson (Post 2541804)
Battery on its way out?

I’m wondering same thing. If the battery is more than 5 years old you may want to replace it to be safe. These things give no warning and then you are totally stuck.

V70Zig Aug 4th, 2019 14:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Motorhate (Post 2541793)
OK, symptoms of the problem I was having this evening:

2008 Volvo XC70 D5 AWD

1. Key fob in dash
2. Foot on brake
3. Press ignition button
4. Nothing

Error message saying put gearstick in PARK (even though it was in PARK)
Gear knob stuck in PARK - cannot be moved into NEUTRAL
Key fob can't be removed due to error message

Solution:

1. Open bonnet / hood
2. Disconnect EARTH terminal from battery
3. Wait approx 30 seconds (you may hear a bleep)
4. Reconnect EARTH terminal
5. Start car

This worked for me tonight, suggesting it was electrical problem and a reset of the system fixed it. I had a problem before where the stereo wouldn't work, it just stopped for no reason at all. Disconnecting the EARTH reset something and the stereo started working again. It's been working OK for a year so far now.

If the key fob / gear issue re-occurs I'll let you know but for now, it appears to be fixed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sahodgson (Post 2541804)
Battery on its way out?

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierremcalpine (Post 2541887)
I’m wondering same thing. If the battery is more than 5 years old you may want to replace it to be safe. These things give no warning and then you are totally stuck.

From Motorhate's post - "It's been working OK for a year so far now." -
So, my guess would have been the battery also, but not sure on the timescale.
Did this happen a year ago ?
I suppose only Motorhate can confirm this.:confused_smile:

Re read the post again...ffs.......Stereo a year ago..............now the non start...teach me to post when I'm on the beer......

Motorhate Aug 4th, 2019 22:21

Thanks for the reply fellas. Battery was my first thought but it's quite an expensive Yuasa Silver High Performance battery which has a built-in charge level indicator (see below, bottom left round window):

https://vwfreespirit.files.wordpress...pg?w=733&h=403

The level indicator doesn't flag up a problem at all which did surprise me but would also explain why the stereo problem hasn't returned.

All OK today with no issues starting at all.

phil1982uk Nov 4th, 2019 20:23

Hi there
Did this issue ever return? Mine has done the same thing tonight stopped the car got out got back in and the same issue you had has happened.

Motorhate Aug 17th, 2020 00:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by phil1982uk (Post 2568836)
Hi there
Did this issue ever return? Mine has done the same thing tonight stopped the car got out got back in and the same issue you had has happened.

Apologies for the later reply. Yes, it did happen once afterwards but I used the same technique as before and it worked perfectly after that.

David Barron Dec 27th, 2023 11:21

Electrical fob stuck in dash

This worked for me. I had left the Volvo at home without a charger for a month when I started to use the car again, olvo v70, I experienced several problems.
These included the fob having to be entered twice before being recognised and eventually not being able to remove the fob at all. I have followed the suggested solution and all appears o.k. now.
Thank you

green van man Dec 27th, 2023 15:50

Don’t forget the earth/ ground connection to the body of the car. Spent a small fortune chasing a random no start issue on my land rover, battery, starter motor, and hours with a volt meter. Eventually found it, corroded cable connection to chassis. Spent another £15 on 35mm welding wire and made up a couple of secondary earth connections between engine block, chassis and battery neg terminal.

Paul.

100K+ Dec 28th, 2023 09:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by green van man (Post 2928789)
……and made up a couple of secondary earth connections between engine block, chassis and battery neg terminal.

Paul.

Just the sort of thing dad would have done,and taught me. Do the job right, ( his way) and never need to go back !😊
Cheers Bob