Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   200 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   240 General: New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=303259)

john.wigley Jul 10th, 2023 20:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laird Scooby (Post 2904798)
You beat me to it John!

It is a question that could precipitate a huge debate about us appointing ourselves custodians of the various religious buildings and other older buildings that are now Listed.

One school of thought might say "It's Gods will that the building decays and falls" whereas another might say "It must be preserved for worship" - likewise with a 17th century house - "it must be preserved as it was built" and "it's old, let it crumble and we'll build a new one".

Similarly with cars and the concourse Vs oily rag/rolling restoration. We always do our best to make things as they should be/need to be to last in the most practical way and with cars, we often take the route of using a better product that isn't original for cost, weight, durability and so on. Of course that detracts from original but it makes them last longer and is an excellent compromise.
It's a shame those in charge of listed buildings and religious buildings (whether they are churches, monasteries, cathedrals or even the good ol' rectory where the vicar lives during the week) can't see the compromise is worth making.

I think that if we wish to take this discussion to a deeper level, 'L.S.', then, in fairness to everyone, it should also be in its own right in a separate thread. Happy for that to happen if there's a desire to do so.

If I may correct you on one thing, the days of one vicar, one parish, are long gone.

The Diocese sold off the Victorian vicarage in our village, in a dilapidated state, over 20 years ago. It is presently on the market (restored - but, to me, not particularly tastefully) for a cool £2M!

We are in an interregnum, with little prospect of a new incumbent being appointed, and, currently, have only the equivalent of one half of a vicar looking after a benefice of six parishes. In that, we are not untypical.

Many priests are also self-funding (i.e. have another (paid) job), what used to be known as NSMs, or Non-stipendary Ministers. Many, too, live in houses not unlike yours or mine, often as a 'house for duty', in lieu of a stipend, or salary.

I know people say the church is asset rich, but assets don't pay the bills, and can only be sold the once, often sacrificing rental income. Our Diocese, which is not alone, is predicting a £2M shortfall in the next FY.

The church, like most people, is feeling the pinch, and further, more Draconian, economies are expected in the near future. There is little point in crying over spilt milk, but it does make things difficult at a parochial level.

People, with some justification, say that the church is always asking for money. That is not the impression that most of us involved with it at a parish level would wish to give.

Regards, John.

Laird Scooby Jul 10th, 2023 22:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by john.wigley (Post 2904809)
I think that if we wish to take this discussion to a deeper level, 'L.S.', then, in fairness to everyone, it should also be in its own right in a separate thread. Happy for that to happen if there's a desire to do so.

If I may correct you on one thing, the days of one vicar, one parish, are long gone.

The Diocese sold off the Victorian vicarage in our village, in a dilapidated state, over 20 years ago. It is presently on the market (restored - but, to me, not particularly tastefully) for a cool £2M!

We are in an interregnum, with little prospect of a new incumbent being appointed, and, currently, have only the equivalent of one half of a vicar looking after a benefice of six parishes. In that, we are not untypical.

Many priests are also self-funding (i.e. have another (paid) job), what used to be known as NSMs, or Non-stipendary Ministers. Many, too, live in houses not unlike yours or mine, often as a 'house for duty', in lieu of a stipend, or salary.

I know people say the church is asset rich, but assets don't pay the bills, and can only be sold the once, often sacrificing rental income. Our Diocese, which is not alone, is predicting a £2M shortfall in the next FY.

The church, like most people, is feeling the pinch, and further, more Draconian, economies are expected in the near future. There is little point in crying over spilt milk, but it does make things difficult at a parochial level.

People, with some justification, say that the church is always asking for money. That is not the impression that most of us involved with it at a parish level would wish to give.

Regards, John.

I was trying to make a comparison between old buildings (in general but particularly religious buildings) and old cars John, the merits of keeping them as original as possible against the practicalities of using more modern materials/methods to prolong their lives and questioning the authority of whoever says "you must repair it with the original materials" as to whether it is right, wrong or misguided or should be taken on an individual basis.

It seems i may have inadvertently detonated a metaphorical minefield on religion, that was certainly not my intention and apologies for any confusion! :thumbs_up:

Moomoo Jul 10th, 2023 22:20

Calm down, calm down! ( Please read with Scouse accent).😁

john.wigley Jul 10th, 2023 23:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laird Scooby (Post 2904820)
It seems i may have inadvertently detonated a metaphorical minefield on religion, that was certainly not my intention and apologies for any confusion! :thumbs_up:

Not at all, 'L.S.', and no apologies necessary. Just telling it as it is!

Regards, John.

Othen Apr 14th, 2024 08:14

I starting to miss the RB and the Barge - I'm beginning to think that once I'm settled in 'Vegas and have a nice, big garage workshop built I may start looking for a 1984/85 240 saloon - next winter.

Madness - I know :cool:.

Moomoo Apr 14th, 2024 08:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Othen (Post 2945456)
I starting to miss the RB and the Barge - I'm beginning to think that once I'm settled in 'Vegas and have a nice, big garage workshop built I may start looking for a 1984/85 240 saloon - next winter.

Madness?

Can’t imagine anything more sensible, save a VWW.

I know, I know.😁

john.wigley Apr 14th, 2024 09:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Othen (Post 2945456)

We've missed your informative and witty posts about the cars and your exploits too, Alan.

If I may ask, is there a reason that you are considering such a narrow choice of year and model? You have GAM, and another 240 would be more of the same, but perhaps that is what you are looking for to scratch the itch?

If you would like another Volvo, I can see you in an early (mid eighties) 7 series. Much the same simple mechanics as the 2 series cars with better corrosion resistance. Just different enough to be interesting and arguably a more refined driving experience. Well up to towing your beloved bikes and an estate would be a good back up for your Skoda.

Yes, I can definitely see you in a nice 7 / 9 series car! :regular_smile:

Regards, John.

Laird Scooby Apr 14th, 2024 12:41

I'm with John on this one Alan, a nice 1986 on 740GLE would be a better bet than an 84/85 240 and in a couple of years, would become tax/MoT exempt so you'd potentially make a bit of profit if you chose to sell it. With a 1986 on, you'd have the "low friction" B230E engine (try to avoid the carb GLE, the Pierburg is truly horrible on those!) which is better than the B23 IMHO.

Othen Apr 14th, 2024 21:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by john.wigley (Post 2945467)
We've missed your informative and witty posts about the cars and your exploits too, Alan.

If I may ask, is there a reason that you are considering such a narrow choice of year and model? You have GAM, and another 240 would be more of the same, but perhaps that is what you are looking for to scratch the itch?

If you would like another Volvo, I can see you in an early (mid eighties) 7 series. Much the same simple mechanics as the 2 series cars with better corrosion resistance. Just different enough to be interesting and arguably a more refined driving experience. Well up to towing your beloved bikes and an estate would be a good back up for your Skoda.

Yes, I can definitely see you in a nice 7 / 9 series car! :regular_smile:

Regards, John.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laird Scooby (Post 2945492)
I'm with John on this one Alan, a nice 1986 on 740GLE would be a better bet than an 84/85 240 and in a couple of years, would become tax/MoT exempt so you'd potentially make a bit of profit if you chose to sell it. With a 1986 on, you'd have the "low friction" B230E engine (try to avoid the carb GLE, the Pierburg is truly horrible on those!) which is better than the B23 IMHO.

Good point chaps - I’d just forgotten about 740s (saloons though, a VWW would be a step too far).

Alan :cool:

360beast Apr 15th, 2024 08:05

I can see it now, Alan in a 740 turbo estate, fitting a manual boost controller, cutting the springs, welding the diff and drifting every roundabout SkegVegas has to offer :D