Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   Headlight washers not working (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=325160)

nu11eaf Apr 30th, 2022 08:59

Headlight washers not working

My headlight washers have stopped working, during winter when using the screen wash more frequently they were working fine but for the last few months they have not worked, I have checked the fuse which is fine and just to be sure I swapped the screen and headlight fuses over and screen wash works but still no headlight wash.

I pulled the inner wheel arch cover off and removed the headlight wash motor and tested it on a 12 volt supply and it works fine, after replacing the motor the headlight wash worked once but has not worked since. (I know they only work every 5th screen wash)
They are not popping out or spraying, anyone had this happen and had them sorted, the MOT is due soon and this is now a MOT fail.

Lexman8 Apr 30th, 2022 10:05

Headlamp washers normally pop up because of the pressure and/or water flow created by the pump. There isn't a motor or solenoid to aid them to pop up.

Perhaps there is extra friction in the pop-up mechanism (or it's gunged up) caused by infrequent use over the last couple of years?

On my Merc it was possible to lift open the flap on the bumper (it was hinged along the forward edge) and pull up the jet mechanism manually. It was a simple arrangement of two concentric cylinders where the inner one with the nozzle on top could rise so that the bottom of the inner one formed a seal with the top of the (fixed in place) outer cylinder when deployed.

I don't know if it's possble to do this on our cars but it might be worth having a look.

Must admit, I can't remember the last time I saw mine working. I'll have to check them.

nu11eaf Apr 30th, 2022 14:04

Thanks, I did check the nozzles/cover and they are free and easy to lift the covers and extend the spray nozzles, and they look very clean, plus they did spray a good amount after I checked the pump motor on a 12 supply and replaced it but it only worked once.

papalazarou Apr 30th, 2022 16:14

Don't they also only work when the headlights are on? I wish they were activated seperately with a switch on the light stalk. I hate it when i've just washed the car only to have the washer spray all over the bonnet and then dry - annoying!!!

nu11eaf Apr 30th, 2022 18:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by papalazarou (Post 2821901)
Don't they also only work when the headlights are on? I wish they were activated seperately with a switch on the light stalk. I hate it when i've just washed the car only to have the washer spray all over the bonnet and then dry - annoying!!!

Thank you you saved the day, I never realised the headlights have to be on, I thought it was just every 5th screen wash, I have just tried them with headlights turned on manually and the washers are working, my lights are always on auto so never realised and its a while since I drove at night.

Just a side note; while testing them, I was pulling the washer stalk and counting the pulls in quick succession and headlight washers were still not working, then I pulled the stalk and waited for the wipers to come to a rest before pulling it again then the headlight washers work on the 5th pull, "with the headlights on"
(you must let the wash/wipe cycle finish before each pull of the stalk)

papalazarou May 1st, 2022 17:31

Glad to be of assistance! :teeth_smile::teeth_smile::teeth_smile:

nu11eaf May 2nd, 2022 13:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by papalazarou (Post 2822097)
Glad to be of assistance! :teeth_smile::teeth_smile::teeth_smile:

I have only had the car 6 years :buttkick:

Chudy85 May 2nd, 2022 18:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by nu11eaf (Post 2822228)
I have only had the car 6 years :buttkick:

no worries mate i have reported that to Volvo and guy came switched on lights and tested all worked :D then he mentions that lights have to be on to activate the washers :)

Boatie May 2nd, 2022 22:04

Just hope that the MOT tester knows!

nu11eaf May 3rd, 2022 10:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boatie (Post 2822318)
Just hope that the MOT tester knows!

He passed it on previous tests so he should do. Or did not bother checking. Just to be sure I will leave the headlights switch to the manual on position so they come on with ignition.