Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Headlight adjustment? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=291787)

Baxlin Feb 13th, 2019 23:16

Headlight adjustment?

My facelift C70 has xenon (adaptive?) dipped beam, but seem to be set rather low. Is there any way to adjust them?

Thanks in advance

Baxlin Feb 26th, 2019 12:53

Having done more searching, it seems there are two white plastic adjusters on each headlight unit, one for horizontal, the other for vertical settings.

Question, is moving these likely to upset the adaptive dipped at worst, just self adjust to the same (low) setting as now, or do what I need it to?

Thanks

Malcolm

LizardOfBodom Feb 26th, 2019 14:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baxlin (Post 2499090)
Having done more searching, it seems there are two white plastic adjusters on each headlight unit, one for horizontal, the other for vertical settings.

Question, is moving these likely to upset the adaptive dipped at worst, just self adjust to the same (low) setting as now, or do what I need it to?

Thanks

Malcolm

HI
missed your first post somehow, sorry. Yes, 2 adjusters one for horizontal, one for vertical - be VERY careful as those snap just by looking at them. Much safer way to adjust is to use allan key and rotate actual cogs, but you can do it only when headlamp is out so its more hassle.
to my knowledge, physical adjusters works standalone to adaptive. Basically you manually decide where 0-100% position is and where adaptive control will always go the same amount degree, the starting and end point will differ, hence you can manually raise-lower them
atleast thats how V50's have, I would imagine C cars would be similar.

again - be SUPER careful with those plastics...

Baxlin Feb 27th, 2019 02:53

Many thanks, extremely helpful!

fortunately Volvo made removing the unit extremely easy, so I’ll pull them and explore further.

Malcolm

Baxlin Mar 12th, 2019 23:20

Just had a thought....

The car’s just had to have a new ECU, and it’s since then that the lights have been too low, I believe dangerously low.

Is there any input from the ECU to the auto headlight setting, does anyone know, please?

IainG Mar 12th, 2019 23:39

Hi
Just wondering, could there be a "calibration" section when plugged in with DICE/VIDA?

Iain

LizardOfBodom Mar 13th, 2019 12:22

Yes, there is a "calibration" tab for adaptive xenons in Vida, thats 100%.
Correct procedure in volvo service is to calibrate lights after any major job affecting the light level (suspension, lamps, even bulb change).
Im surprised however that ECU has any relevence to it. Would imagine CEM contains most of that info, but maybe I was wrong.

why did you need to have ECU changed, just by the way?

Baxlin Mar 13th, 2019 18:19

Don’t precisely know, but it was part of quite major series of faults, fortunately mostly covered by extended warranty.

Baxlin Mar 14th, 2019 09:01

My apologies, but I have spent about an hour searching both the forum and my memory.....

Does anyone local-ish to Tring/Aylesbury/Watford area have DICEVIDA, (or whatever the correct name is!?) and be willing to look at my headlights?

Thanks
Malcolm

LizardOfBodom Mar 14th, 2019 11:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baxlin (Post 2503953)
Don’t precisely know, but it was part of quite major series of faults, fortunately mostly covered by extended warranty.

Just a thought - if that was extended warranty (by Volvo?) and replacing ECU really made headlights reset settings, calibration should be part of work carried out FOC no? Kinda like if steering rack was replaced under warranty, I would expect wheel alignment done FOC as part of service.
unless its a different case with you.