Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S40 / V40 '96-'04 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Car runs bad after timing belt exchange (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=284187)

Tjeoo Jul 16th, 2018 19:00

Car runs bad after timing belt exchange

Hey guys!

Bad news :( I took my v40 1.8 2003 volvo to a mechanic a week ago, to get the timingbelt, water pump and vvt wheel exchanged. They did the job, allthough they managed to lift on the oil pan, and crack it...

Anyway, the car runs kinda poor now, its not acceleration like before, and when you go up a hill, its really hard to keep the km/h up??

When i floor the pedal, nothing really happens, its really slow, the only real noticiable acceleration is happingen after 4000 rpm...

It was not like this before the mechanic "fixed" it.

What could be wrong?

I have read that i could be the timing, or the distributor.. mabye they didnt set the vvt wheel correctly? They are taking it in again tomorrow, hoping they will pay for the failure, and not just blame something else like the air filter, wich i have checked..

luggsey Jul 16th, 2018 19:10

Take it back and ask him to fix it if he broke it?

magnuz Jul 16th, 2018 19:45

It will most likely be the cam timing is out ?
It is absolutely essential to lock the cams to fit the VVT sprocket, as the cam will turn when the fixing bolt is undone & retightened on fitting the new one, the sprocket is also not located by key, & will fit in any position.
Also make sure they do a proper job of the cracked sump/oil pan, as it is an aluminium alloy sump, so should either be replaced or TIG welded to a very good standard, & not bodged with some sort of epoxy glue / filler or something similar, or it may leak eventually!

gatos Jul 16th, 2018 23:07

Yeap, most probably they fitted the vvt pulley at the wrong position and the timing is out. Take it back and ask the to get it sorted

emtor Jul 17th, 2018 05:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tjeoo (Post 2426097)
Hey guys!

Bad news :( I took my v40 1.8 2003 volvo to a mechanic a week ago, to get the timingbelt, water pump and vvt wheel exchanged. They did the job, allthough they managed to lift on the oil pan, and crack it...

Anyway, the car runs kinda poor now, its not acceleration like before, and when you go up a hill, its really hard to keep the km/h up??

When i floor the pedal, nothing really happens, its really slow, the only real noticiable acceleration is happingen after 4000 rpm...

It was not like this before the mechanic "fixed" it.

What could be wrong?

I have read that i could be the timing, or the distributor.. mabye they didnt set the vvt wheel correctly? They are taking it in again tomorrow, hoping they will pay for the failure, and not just blame something else like the air filter, wich i have checked..

The VVT-sprocket is out of timing.
Is this a Volvo repair shop? Did they use the Volvo cam and crank locking tools?
If not a Volvo shop they most likely do not have the locking tools, and then it's easy to mess up the timing.
So they cracked the oil pan? That tells me this is a sloppy bunch of mechanics. They supported the engine by jacking it up without using a block of wood between the jack and the oil pan.

bobthecabbage Jul 17th, 2018 08:38

They cracked the sump pan and bodged the job.

Find a better garage and get them to correct the timing and send the bill to the bodge garage. The bodge garage should also fit a new sump pan but would you trust them to do that without doing more damage?

gatos Jul 17th, 2018 11:35

Only way I can think off that they cracked the sump, is when they used some sort of jack to support the engine when removing the engine mount. You are always suppose to use a piece of wood or some sort of thick rubber between the jack and the sump. If not and if they were clumsy, then I wouldn't be surprised how it got cracked......

andy_d Jul 17th, 2018 12:11

and given the cracked sump, getting the timing wrong fitting the vvt pulley , yeps

your call if to go back to them to get it fixed,,at Zero cost to you , they messed up they can fix it, or get them to agree to pay the bill for a Proper garage to fix their bodge/errors/mistakes

welded sump = no , you broke it You replace it with gen part as its a gen part on there,, and make them lift the car to Show you they replaced it , not bodged it with sealer