Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   A thank you to Martin Smith and a must for all TDI’s (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=281098)

Ninjabob81 Apr 26th, 2018 11:14

A thank you to Martin Smith and a must for all TDI’s

So, for the last week or two I’ve been tooling around in my 96 850tdi with one of Martins trick/fettled ECU’s fitted. I can report that yes, my 20+ year old intercooler and pipes have not launched themselves into a low earth orbit, yes, my front tyre wear will be taking more of a hammering than Declan Donnellys Uber usage, and yes... I haven’t stopped grinning like a moron since fitting it. I can wholeheartedly recommend getting one for your TDI, with the freer flowing exhaust and bypassed egr valve I feel like it goes like a 2.5 5 pot should. Fuel consumption? No idea... I’m having too much fun to care to be quite honest, although it doesn’t seem to be using any more or less than before. The noise is awesome, like I say mines decatted and running a small 12” Long silencer at the back but when it comes on boost it sounds evil!!! Thanks again Martin, glad we got there in the end (despite my best efforts), and I hope you help plenty other TDI’s reach their full potential in the future. Cheers!!

JOHN 850 Apr 26th, 2018 14:34

Keen to look into this further as considering a decat n egr blanking plus injector refurb etc mainly for better mpg as with 20 years n 280k on the clock things do deterate !

Contact details n costs etc would be great.

Thanks

John

Ninjabob81 Apr 26th, 2018 18:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by JOHN 850 (Post 2397289)
Keen to look into this further as considering a decat n egr blanking plus injector refurb etc mainly for better mpg as with 20 years n 280k on the clock things do deterate !

Thanks

John

You can get in touch with Martin on this forum, quite a regular poster and had a pretty epic tdi build of his own for a while. I sourced my own ECU off ebay for around 20 quid, packaged it up and sent it off to him along with 150 quid and a week later it returned full of angry Swedish moose. All good, great product, great bloke to deal with.

martin_r_smith Apr 26th, 2018 21:47

Thanks for the kind words mate, appreciate it.

Glad you're having fun with it! Fuel economy won't really be effected when driven the same, in fact probably better. Give it the boot all the time and of course it will be worse, but hey, it's fun.

doingitsideways Apr 27th, 2018 01:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by JOHN 850 (Post 2397289)

Thanks

John

Mine's on 325k and has had one of Martin's maps for the past year or so

Original turbo, injectors, clutch and flywheel. Gets driven hard and has a bloody hard life tbf.

Have a chat with him, he'll do you right :thumbs_up:

martin_r_smith Apr 29th, 2018 15:27

I'm a very happy man, Doingitsideways just had his dyno'd @ 200.8bhp! Sure he will post the dyno plot soon.

doingitsideways Apr 29th, 2018 22:59

Far too much hassle posting a pic these days now photobucket has shat itself and the forum doesn't like hi-res, but the pic's on Facebook if anyone wants to look.

200,8bhp
450nm

That'll do, pig :thumbs_up:

doingitsideways Apr 30th, 2018 14:25

1 Attachment(s)
Took a screen grab from the YouTube clip with a low enough resolution...

Attachment 112083

petrohl34d May 1st, 2018 15:59

Would love to see a video of this thing going!

Number plates blanked off obviously :fear:

doingitsideways May 2nd, 2018 11:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by petrohl34d (Post 2399057)
Would love to see a video of this thing going!

Number plates blanked off obviously :fear:

I don't really do YouTube but have a couple on my phone.
PM me your number and can WhatsApp them if you like.