Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   How Many Miles Per Tank Do You Get? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=296094)

LPTJoe Jun 27th, 2019 09:08

How Many Miles Per Tank Do You Get?

As per the title gents :)

Just a small poll to see when people are filling up.... Personally my fuel gauge seems to reach the halfway mark after about 200 miles, at which stage I loose my nerve and brim it again as frankly I'm not that trusting of how accurate the gauge is! I'd imagine I could achieve 350 miles and will probably put that to the test next time I fill up...

My car's a '96 2.3 B230FK, if you could include your model that would be appreciated

What are you all getting?

gpl1968 Jun 27th, 2019 10:05

I normally get 400 miles before the warning lamp comes on with my '97 B230FK.

tofufi Jun 27th, 2019 10:59

I normally get 250-300miles before the fuel gauge reads half-way. I ought to be able to get to 500-600 miles before re-filling, but I don't think I've ever gone over 500.

D24TIC averaging 45MPG :)

TomSaintJames Jun 27th, 2019 12:37

I've not yet been brave enough to go north of 305 miles for a tank, at that point going around corners or downhill makes the engine stutter and almost stall.

1988 740 2.0 (B200E) Hearse.

Laird Scooby Jun 27th, 2019 13:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by LPTJoe (Post 2531834)
Personally my fuel gauge seems to reach the halfway mark after about 200 miles, at which stage I loose my nerve and brim it again as frankly I'm not that trusting of how accurate the gauge is! I'd imagine I could achieve 350 miles

How much (in litres or gallons) does it take to fill up at that point Joe? You could work out the mpg from that and then multiply by 13 (60L tank ~ 13.25gallons) to give you the expected range with about 1/4 gallon left. Zeroing the trip before you start moving after fill-up will give you an idea of how much you have left in terms of miles if you know the expected range. Could also carry a gallon in a can just in case.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomSaintJames (Post 2531889)
I've not yet been brave enough to go north of 305 miles for a tank, at that point going around corners or downhill makes the engine stutter and almost stall.

1988 740 2.0 (B200E) Hearse.

At that point Tom, you're down to about 1/2 gallon of vapour! :err:

If anyone does run out of petrol, once more is added from a can, instead of sitting there cranking the engine over which won't achieve anything except flattening the battery, just flick the key into the start position and let go. You'll hear the pumps whirr for a couple of seconds. Repeat until the whirr changes and is then a dull growl instead of an "excited" whirr.
Then start normally and continue your journey.

Note i said petrol - diesels are a different kettle of fish and i don't know if Volvos have a lift pump inside the tank (like most petrols up to about 95/96) or an external one on the engine or none at all.

If it's the latter, often there is a primer lever on the injection pump or an inline hand-pump usually shaped like a rugby ball on the fuel line. If there is an engine mounted lift-pump before the IP, they often have a hand-lever to manually pump if you run out.
If they have an electric lift-pump inside the tank, chances are the same method as for petrols will work but no guarantee.

As for my economy, depends where and how i drive. If it's the usual local ish runs, about 25-26mpg, on a decent, longer run, i have seen 38mpg, if i am a bit lead-footed on the longer runs that can drop to 30-32mpg.

tofufi Jun 27th, 2019 17:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laird Scooby (Post 2531896)

Note i said petrol - diesels are a different kettle of fish and i don't know if Volvos have a lift pump inside the tank (like most petrols up to about 95/96) or an external one on the engine or none at all.

If it's the latter, often there is a primer lever on the injection pump or an inline hand-pump usually shaped like a rugby ball on the fuel line. If there is an engine mounted lift-pump before the IP, they often have a hand-lever to manually pump if you run out.

Diesel's don't have a lift pump or any sort of electric pump, only the mechanical IP on the engine run from the back of the camshaft :)

My diesel doesn't have an inline hand pump, and I'm not aware of a hand lever either. A bit of a pain to bleed should you need to - on my cruise control donor car I had to add a hand pump in-line to bleed it.

Laird Scooby Jun 27th, 2019 18:07

Thanks for clearing that up Jim, i had my suspicions as Vauxhalls of a similar era had no lift pump either, the IP functioned as a lift and injection pump - until you ran out of course!

On the Vauxhalls, the fuel tank had to be pressurised if you ran out. That would probably work for the D24 engines as well, once they fire they should self-bleed. :thumbs_up:

Forrest Jun 27th, 2019 19:07

1997 2.3 LPT and 1994 2.0 Turbo both around 400 miles before the light comes on but I normally fill up between 200 and 300 miles. I tend to keep the tank at least half full normally.

bob12 Jun 27th, 2019 19:41

1990 745 LH2.4 M47 (5 speed) box ... anywhere in the region 30 - 42 mpg depending on driving/traffic conditions, my mood, and how heavy my right foot might be! I'll leave you to work out how much that is to a tank. Bob :)

gpl1968 Jun 27th, 2019 20:50

Late model turbos have a 75 litre tank. At 400 miles I normally get 60-65litres in filled to the top.