Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   New car day...after a lengthy search! (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=284061)

AllHailKingVolvo Jul 13th, 2018 21:15

New car day...after a lengthy search!

I trekked off to Basildon yesterday to pick up my new 740 GL saloon...it’s a 1990 in silver, manual with the B200F motor. It was very dusty and cobwebbed when I arrived as the previous owner had lost his license two months previously and the car had been sat for a while, but it started on the button and is remarkably tidy inside, as it will be outside after a proper polish and touch up.

It’s done 148,000 and has clearly been well maintained. The engine is more lively and sharp than either of my previous B200s and is even better after the basic oil/filters/plugs service I gave it this afternoon.

The bite point on the clutch is fairly high (I know they usually are) but is nice and sharp and doesn’t slip at all. I’ll throw a clutch at it in the next few months anyway as I’m keen for it to be just so.

I’m very happy with it-I’ll upload pics soon. As mentioned in the Touring thread, I have a 600 mile journey to Carlisle and back to make tomorrow, which will be a great opportunity to get to know the old chap!

Laird Scooby Jul 14th, 2018 11:49

Glad you found a nice one in the end, good luck on your "day trip"!

Looking forward to the pics! ;) :D

AllHailKingVolvo Jul 14th, 2018 19:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laird Scooby (Post 2425186)
Glad you found a nice one in the end, good luck on your "day trip"!

Looking forward to the pics! ;) :D

Thanks Dave! I’m really enjoying the car, it got me to Carlisle (376 miles and another 376 home tomorrow) with no problems whatsoever, a great motorway cruiser as they all are.

Fully loaded (full PA system, amps, stands, spares, two guitars, luggage etc which all equates to the weight of three adults plus me driving) I was getting just under 30mpg on the way here, not too bad for a B200 I thought!

Laird Scooby Jul 14th, 2018 19:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllHailKingVolvo (Post 2425324)
Fully loaded (full PA system, amps, stands, spares, two guitars, luggage etc which all equates to the weight of three adults plus me driving)

In a saloon? :err:

Hope they're paying you well for this gig, that's going to be £150+ in petrol at least! :speechless-smiley-5

Ross Slaughter Jul 14th, 2018 22:17

Nice one dude!

AllHailKingVolvo Jul 15th, 2018 15:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laird Scooby (Post 2425326)
In a saloon? :err:

Hope they're paying you well for this gig, that's going to be £150+ in petrol at least! :speechless-smiley-5

The boot is surprisingly large! Swallowed all the PA gear with no problems and the guitar amp and both guitars went on the back seat. I’ve just arrived back in Dorset, the car was flawless both ways and a joy to drive...petrol came in at £145 all in which wasn’t tooooo bad. Thankfully the gig did indeed pay a decent fee with travel costs and accommodation on top, so my Volvoing was all paid for!!

AllHailKingVolvo Jul 15th, 2018 15:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross Slaughter (Post 2425371)
Nice one dude!

Thanks Ross!