Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Brake cleaner (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=276342)

arcturus Dec 27th, 2017 15:01

Brake cleaner

Hi, one om Christmas presents this year was a tin of brake cleaner. I don't really have too much use for this. What else can it be used for?

mocambique-amazone Dec 27th, 2017 15:15

Hello George,
degrease something in front of painting
find easy a leak between butterfly and head (manifold)
one of the siplest way to find a fault if the engine won't start: spray brake cleaner onto the carb inlet, if the engine start to run you won't have a problem with ignition ;-)

and and and
I use probably 10 Liters a year of brake cleaner :-(

good luck, regards Kay

dingov70 Dec 27th, 2017 16:31

Brake cleaner , carb cleaner BUT NOT mass air flow units . electrical contact cleaner , tool cleaner , removing brake dust from wheels rims , wash dirt from locks , steel cleaning prior to marking out .

The list is quite long

Geoff moore Dec 27th, 2017 16:32

Brake cleaner can be used for tar removal electrical contact cleaner tool cleaner etc the engine Start use is a great idea I carry a spray can in the boot not that volvos need it of course

Ron Kwas Dec 27th, 2017 16:53

arcturus;

There are many different formulations for Brake Cleaner, so effectiveness and compatibility tests are always a good idea for a given job. Formulations which smell like dry-cleaning fluid (Tetrachloroethylene), I'm pretty sure are non-flammable...maybe the type Kay gets is of a similar formulation as spray Carb-Cleaners...these are (Highly!) flammable, and can be used to locate False-Air leaks or even to replace the fuel supply for quick tests, or to help start the Lawn-mower in the spring. A shop Fire-Extinguisher is not such a bad thing!

The non-flammable Tetrachloroethylene based Brake Cleaner is a lot safer if flammability is not needed, and generally does not attack the insulating lacquers used on magnet wire, so it is the preferred solvent for flushing out dust or carbon brush dust out of Relays or Electric Motor innards (Starter, Wiper, Windshield Washer Pump).

High order solvents are all good for removing stubborn sticker-goo or tree sap, or instantly giving the flying insects attacking you while you're working on a car something else to think about, besides defending their home, built in the door-gap...it can even be lit on fire at night for (questionable) entertainment, and to possibly impress the wife, pets and neighbors (Don't try this at home style!)...uses are almost endless!

Cheers

arcturus Dec 27th, 2017 17:01

Thanks. With all these uses I think that I should stock up on a few gallons :)

blueosprey90 Dec 27th, 2017 22:42

I use the brake cleaner that comes in an aerosol spray can on brakes; and in a pinch, I guess that I have used to clean other parts.

But pay close attention to the warning label and don't spray on hot parts - or on parts that you might be cleaning up for welding. The fumes can be extremely toxic - as in deadly.

arcturus Dec 28th, 2017 09:57

But pay close attention to the warning label and don't spray on hot parts - or on parts that you might be cleaning up for welding. The fumes can be extremely toxic - as in deadly.

Aaaarg,too late! No flowers only cash donations :)

VolvoFan Dec 28th, 2017 19:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by arcturus (Post 2351216)

Aaaarg,too late! No flowers only cash donations :)

Don't tempt providence! Happy new year.