Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   200 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Vinyl roof on an estate (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=302005)

heckflosse Jan 1st, 2020 15:54

Vinyl roof on an estate

Happy new year everyone,
Has anybody out there had experience of fitting a vinyl roof? or any recommendations for a firm that does them in East Anglia? Our old 265 had one from early on in its life and it kinda suits it.After some body work and paint is completed Id like to have a new vinyl roof fitted. I know they are not fashionable now but retro 70s funkiness still matters to some of us.
Thanks, Jim

AndrewBrown Jan 1st, 2020 18:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by heckflosse (Post 2585240)
Happy new year everyone,
Has anybody out there had experience of fitting a vinyl roof? or any recommendations for a firm that does them in East Anglia? Our old 265 had one from early on in its life and it kinda suits it.After some body work and paint is completed Id like to have a new vinyl roof fitted. I know they are not fashionable now but retro 70s funkiness still matters to some of us.
Thanks, Jim

I agree Jim 100% about 70's funkiness, but the word "retro" probably does not apply in your case depending on the age of your 265 I think the better fitting word for that is "Original" as in original accessory

Retro is just thrown around buy younger people who don't know what's original and what's not. So many of them say its 70's when they don't have a clue what was available when. Someone said to me once that the original mini was such a 70's design, I could not help myself I had to "correct" their mistake.

Sorry for the impromptu rant but I do like 70's funkiness probably more than the next bloke

The Volvo dealership where I was a kid had 245 and 265 models for sale new with a vinyl roof (black, a fawn like colour similar to the leather seats in a 164 or dark brown) fitted by their body shop, they looked great to me back then at 10 years old and they still look good now, loved the look of my dads 245DL in orange with dark brown vinyl, pretty sure that's why I like em today.

Laird Scooby Jan 1st, 2020 19:23

These people used to do them :

https://littleportboathaven.co.uk/contact%20us.htm

Not sure if they still do but worth a try. :thumbs_up:

Othen Nov 26th, 2020 07:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by heckflosse (Post 2585240)
Happy new year everyone,
Thanks, Jim

Hi Jim,
Did you ever find anyone to fit a black vinyl roof? I'm thinking of having the same done to the Royal Barge, it has never had a vinyl roof, but I think it would suit a 1980 car.
Alan

heckflosse Nov 27th, 2020 07:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Othen (Post 2684754)
Hi Jim,
Did you ever find anyone to fit a black vinyl roof? I'm thinking of having the same done to the Royal Barge, it has never had a vinyl roof, but I think it would suit a 1980 car.
Alan

I did it myself eventually, got the vinyl from a firm online. Sorry, cant remember the name but they sent a sample and were very helpful. Its the Same pattern grain as 70s Ford.
A bit of a fiddle to do but possible if you have helpers and somewhere under cover to do it in. Be patient.
Funky 70s factor guaranteed

Laird Scooby Nov 27th, 2020 07:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by heckflosse (Post 2684978)
I did it myself eventually, got the vinyl from a firm online. Sorry, cant remember the name but they sent a sample and were very helpful. Its the Same pattern grain as 70s Ford.
A bit of a fiddle to do but possible if you have helpers and somewhere under cover to do it in. Be patient.

Would that be Martrim or maybe Woolies Trim by any chance?

Othen Nov 27th, 2020 08:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by heckflosse (Post 2684978)

How does it look? A few photos would be appreciated.

Alan

PS. Could this be the vinyl you used? The Ford black looks best - and would only cost about £40. Does you motor car have a sunroof?

https://www.martrim.co.uk/car-trimmi...yl-topping.php

heckflosse Nov 27th, 2020 09:25

Pretty sure it was them.Give them a ring.
No sunroof, and no pics as yet, but it looks right.
Jim

Othen Nov 27th, 2020 13:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by heckflosse (Post 2684995)
Pretty sure it was them.Give them a ring.
No sunroof, and no pics as yet, but it looks right.
Jim

Thank you Jim,
The sun roof would worry me if I attempted this myself - I'll have to do a bit more research.
Alan

Othen Dec 4th, 2020 06:18

I've found a firm in Milton Keynes (about 40 miles away) that can do the work. The chap (reasonably) wants me to take the car over before agreeing a price for the work, so I think I'll postpone until the spring when the weather improves a bit.
Alan