Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   XC60 Emissions Warning Symbol (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=289445)

Obix Dec 8th, 2018 13:48

XC60 Emissions Warning Symbol

Hi,

The yellow emissions warning symbol appeared on the dashboard of my 3 weeks old XC60 D4 this morning. The car has done 150 miles. Very unimpressed... this is my first Volvo and I really expected better. Is this a common issue with the car? Any advice and guidance would be appreciated. Naturally it will be going to the dealer on Monday.

Many thanks.

MY19 XC60 D4 Momentum

nu11eaf Dec 8th, 2018 14:31

Has the warning remained on, is it still on after turning engine off and locking the door then restarting engine. If it has not come back on it may be just a temporary glitch,
If it is still on I would think it to be a minor easy fixed problem like a loose connection, unlikely to be a serious problem, though upsetting to get these things on a new car.
Hope it is sorted easily.

tem Dec 8th, 2018 14:53

With such low mileage in 3 weeks, it could be a bit of soot one one of the oxygen probes?
A good fast run to work the engine, may clear the warning.
I have done this twice with a V60.

tem.

Typolee Dec 8th, 2018 15:13

I had this on my XC90 and it went off after a few hours. Apparently the sensors are very sensitive to poor fuel as well.

Obix Dec 8th, 2018 15:33

Thanks for all your help and guidance. The warning has remained on so clearly something isn't happy. I'll take the car for a run down the motorway tomorrow and see if that makes a difference, otherwise its back to the dealer on Monday. I'll keep you posted on progress.

tem Dec 8th, 2018 15:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obix (Post 2473948)
Thanks for all your help and guidance. The warning has remained on so clearly something isn't happy. I'll take the car for a run down the motorway tomorrow and see if that makes a difference, otherwise its back to the dealer on Monday. I'll keep you posted on progress.

Where safe and legal, try a bit of hard acceleration (A couple of short bursts).
Should this clear any soot off a probe, the warning will not clear until you stop, switch the engine off and then restart.
Good luck.

tem.

cassell Dec 8th, 2018 17:27

I had this on my V90 some months ago, intermittent at first then it stayed on. I arranged to take it to the dealer, sod's law it went out on the journey there!

They said it was a common problem, usually cleared by cleaning a sensor, which they did anyway and it's never come back.

Obix Dec 10th, 2018 19:48

A quick update. I took the car into the dealers this morning. Apparently the 'front sensor' had exceeded a threshold and triggered the warning light. I suppose this is possible, although the dealer tech could not explain the cause. Apparently they've updated the software, 'reset the counter' and sent the log files to Volvo for investigation.

To be honest I'm not entirely convinced by this. The light is now off but I'd not be surprised if it reappears at some point very soon.

tem Dec 10th, 2018 20:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obix (Post 2474557)
A quick update. I took the car into the dealers this morning. Apparently the 'front sensor' had exceeded a threshold and triggered the warning light. I suppose this is possible, although the dealer tech could not explain the cause. Apparently they've updated the software, 'reset the counter' and sent the log files to Volvo for investigation.

To be honest I'm not entirely convinced by this. The light is now off but I'd not be surprised if it reappears at some point very soon.

Did they clean the sensor?

tem.

Obix Dec 10th, 2018 20:25

No. They said it couldn't possibly need it at such a low mileage (now 190 miles) and seemed to be pointing the finger at the software. We'll see what happens but I'm far from confident that it won't happen again.