Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Events and Meetings (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Sywell Meeting Sunday 15th September 2019 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=298650)

Peter Ragg Sep 17th, 2019 05:39

Sywell Meeting Sunday 15th September 2019

This was our 5th Annual event and the weather was fantastic, a lovely day was had by all.
22 Cars, including 14 Amazons (4Estates), 1 PV, 1 P1800, 1 440, 1S70, 1XC60, 1 Zodiac.

One did not make, Kevin Dagenhard's overdrive decided to pack up in Watford so had to limp back home. That's 2 years on the trot Kevin, 'third time lucky', hopefully.

Best Amazon voted on the day: Doug Flynn's customised KDX 898F (stunning Doug)
Best Non-Amazon voted on the day: Neil Murray in his awesome P1800 WVF 337H
Peter's PIC: Roger and Julie Moore in their lovely dark blue Amazon, BVG 312E (you really need to buy a P1800).

Just as I was about to leave a hurricane and spitfire flew across the airfield, with their stunning merlin engines, making it a very special day indeed.
Thank you everybody, see you next year, (date coming soon). Also to the VOC for donating £50 to the Aviation Museum on site.
Kind regards
Peter

Derek UK Sep 17th, 2019 17:03

5 Attachment(s)
Thanks, Peter, it was a good day. I'm posting a bunch of pictures. They will be over several posts. I'm afraid you lose your plane spotters badge as they were neither a Hurricane or Spitfire. One was a North American Thunderbolt and the other Spanish built Hispano Buchon Messerschmitt 109 version built after the war. This 109 was rebuilt at Sywell and flew again last year after being in stored in pieces after it was used with a bunch of others in the film Battle of Britain. This one does have a Merlin engine. Spain had them in their air force until 1965.

Derek UK Sep 17th, 2019 17:05

5 Attachment(s)
Sywell pics 2

Derek UK Sep 17th, 2019 17:08

5 Attachment(s)
Sywell pics 3

Derek UK Sep 17th, 2019 17:11

5 Attachment(s)
Sywell pics 4

Derek UK Sep 17th, 2019 17:14

3 Attachment(s)
Sywell pics 5 - Last one, includes a repeat of the aircraft as it was the last pic I took.

:regular_smile:

Triple-S Sep 17th, 2019 19:22

Correct re the "Me109" Derek, but wrong manufacturer of the Thunderbolt. That was Republic: you were confused by North American who made the Mustang, the other famous aircraft of WW2. However, your pic confirms both, except that the T'Bolt doesn't have an in-line engine like a Merlin, it has a huge radial.

Whilst its easier to say Me109 rather than Buchon, knicknames for the Thunderbolt included 'Jug', whereas the later (jet) aircraft to use the name (albeit with the number 2 behind it) was the A10, which is affectionately called the Thud even though it also carries the name Warthog!

Its difficult being an anorak, even if well-retired!

P

Derek UK Sep 17th, 2019 20:16

I'll join Peter and remove my badge. Actually, more of a typo as I looked these planes up when I got back on Sunday. This Thunderbolt is easy to find. I made a guess that they had just come back from Goodwood but maybe not the case. The interesting thing for me was that that the size of the Thunderbolt made the 109 look like a reduced-scale replica!