Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   Parking sensors (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=298872)

ccfcforever1987 Sep 24th, 2019 09:16

Parking sensors

Hi

I have a new V60 estate and have encountered an error with the parking sensors.

Just recently the front drivers side sensor has started telling me that I am too close (red indicators and constant beeping) to something when I am not.

Then sometimes but not everytime I get a message telling me that the sensors are blocked and need cleaning. Now my car isn't spotless at the moment but it certainly isnt caked in mud or anything.

Just wondered if anybody has had this type of problem and what the remedy was? I have my car booked in to have it looked at and the fist thing they said to me was 'software update'?

nu11eaf Sep 24th, 2019 09:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccfcforever1987 (Post 2556645)
Hi

Just recently the front drivers side sensor has started telling me that I am too close (red indicators and constant beeping) to something when I am not.

Then sometimes but not everytime I get a message telling me that the sensors are blocked and need cleaning. Now my car isn't spotless at the moment but it certainly isnt caked in mud or anything.

Just wondered if anybody has had this type of problem and what the remedy was? I have my car booked in to have it looked at and the fist thing they said to me was 'software update'?

The only time I have had the "parking sensors temporarily unavailable" message is while driving on a major dual carriageway in winter with lots of salt spray and sensors become dirty.

ChatsV60 Sep 24th, 2019 09:47

I had that with my V60 eventually my dealer found the same problem on one of there demonstrators
The number plate was to low causing interference with the sensors , lifted it so top was level bottom of grill, problem solved.

Mine was lifted about 20 mm.

John

ccfcforever1987 Sep 24th, 2019 14:00

Thanks chatss60. I'll have to have a look at the plate before I leave work.

Seems odd if that is the reason as it has only just started doing it and I have had the car since May.

ccfcforever1987 Sep 24th, 2019 14:02

Thanks nu11eaf.

I hope that isn't the case as all that is on the front of my car is rain water. Nothing like this has ever happend in any other car I have had with sensors.

James77 Sep 25th, 2019 15:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccfcforever1987 (Post 2556645)
Hi

Had a similar issue once or twice and it was a spiders web, has a message up telling to clean the obstruction. It's also affected by rain, droplets over the sensor when crawling in traffic. On a dry day when the nose is free of arachnids there is no issue at all.

ccfcforever1987 Sep 25th, 2019 15:31

Thanks James77

I am hoping it isn't spiders or rain. that would be a bit ridiculous. Although I can see the dealer trying to say that it is spiders and rain and that it is a 'characteristic' of the car.

I am hoping it is a dodgy sensor as I have had the car since May and has only just started to display this problem.

ChatsV60 Sep 25th, 2019 16:30

This is what I use to get.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hX-...ew?usp=sharing

ccfcforever1987 Sep 25th, 2019 16:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by chatss60 (Post 2557091)

Thats pretty much what I am seeing. Then after a half a dozen times it says the sensors are blocked. Can't understand why it would have only just started though if it is the same issue as you had.

Anyway, booked in next week for this and its (late) 3k mile check.

Everything else about the car is wonderful. Best car I have owed to date.

BiggyG Sep 25th, 2019 21:23

Had the same issue on a demonstrator V60 I had whilst my Xc90 was in for service. It was activating every time i dropped below the max speed limit. So approaching traffic lights or junctions , all of a sudden it would activate.

Reported it when I handed it back but don’t know the outcome.