Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Two questions regarding the rear brakes single line (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=267189)

CLIVERALLY Apr 30th, 2017 09:49

Two questions regarding the rear brakes single line

Two quick questions

1) I found around the adjuster a rubber band- should it be there?

2) Unfortunately I cannot remember the orientation of the bar that sits below the upper spring --- this is for the N/Side on a UK car (passenger side)- not where it sits but which way round it goes. I know that side with the bit with the metal protruding goes at the back but does it go up or down and in the direction of forward travel ?
hoped to get a photo from a previous post bu they are not working. I am fine with the rest of it , just this sodding bar

thanks

Ron Kwas Apr 30th, 2017 13:47

Clive;

1. No rubber Bands belong anywhere near adjusters as far as I know...I can't think of anywhere there would be room for a rubber band around the adjuster in the assembled position...perhaps it was there to keep the two "pistons" retained in the housing, and from falling out during shipping, and the assembler thought should it should remain there when assembled...can you post a picture?

Tip: If and when there is access to adjuster(s), assure they are lubed up with graphite grease to prevent future galvanic corrosion, and freezing preventing adjustment.

For No 2, I suggest you search for images, or have a look at an exploded assembly diagram from GCP.

Good Hunting!

CLIVERALLY Apr 30th, 2017 16:13

Ron will try to get a picture

CLIVERALLY Apr 30th, 2017 16:14

Ron...who are CGP?

Ron Kwas Apr 30th, 2017 17:00

Clive;

Genuine Classic Parts is Volvo's official site for the oldies...extremely useful... exploded assembly diagrams and PNs...know thine resources! See: www.gcp.se

Cheers

CLIVERALLY Apr 30th, 2017 17:35

Bugger sadly not detailed enough

Volvo_133 Apr 30th, 2017 17:35

Hi Clive,
I can imagine if you have dismantled both sides and mixed all the parts together, you may have an issue.
If you have only dismantled your nearside, then the link bar can only go 1 way with the fork end behind the handbrake linkage. The 90 degree end goes behind handbrake linkage.

volvonic272 Apr 30th, 2017 18:19

Hi Clive,
Google, 'photo Volvo Amazon rear brake', there are some photos on there which may give you a clue.
It's the same set up as P1800.
Mine had a round seal, but I'm fairly sure it was behind the brake cylinder, I guess to stop dirt and water getting in.
Anyway have a look at the photos it may help.

Dave

CLIVERALLY May 1st, 2017 17:18

Big thanks to all...yes Dave the bugger had been around the cylinder and has obviously fallen off. But honestly you would think it had been wrapped around the adjuster...it had fallen just right.....Ron no need to test you out mate with that...right this bar forked at both ends but one has a 90 degree prong...thanks for the tip Volvo 133 ...got it..handbrake side...makes sense.
Cannot believe the cost of the cylinders! £23quid each !!!are they made of gold? Sadly cannot rebuild as the bore looks buggered. So once again the Devil breaks wind in my face