Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series Wants (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=177)
-   -   760 saloon rear light units. (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=121346)

Citizen.Agfa Apr 6th, 2011 00:10

760 saloon rear light units.

As per thread title, I would like a n/s/r light unit for my newly acquired 760 Turbo.

If you look at the snap you'll see why I want one.

I'll take a pair if they're out there!

The rear end:-

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...a/DSCF1974.jpg

Thanks in advance, C.A.

Laney760 Apr 6th, 2011 00:49

N1 Volvo Nut had a nice pair of 940 saloon rear lights for sale which could be easily adapted to fit the 760 saloon, looked much like yours if I recall? (My 760 rear lights are different)

Laney760 Apr 6th, 2011 01:17

By the way, when I got my 760, about two years ago now, the left hand rear light unit was pretty faded too. I managed to pick up a fairly good replacement but now that one too is faded out yet the right is still ok. I keep meaning to try what Steven (SonyErricson) recommended, varnishing them on the inside, it's supposed to bring them up to scratch ???

ALLOA Apr 6th, 2011 07:14

There is a tip on the 240 forum that faded rear lights can be restored byr rubbing baby oil into them (honestly!!)

Might be worth a try!

Cheers

Scott

ian2000t Apr 6th, 2011 12:13

I bought Mike1967's old lights (same style) and they were pretty much as your lefthand one is.

I wet sanded (and bit of washing up liquid) with 800 grit, then 1200, then 2000. Then used some fine cutting compound with a DA Polisher, followed by some "Plast-X" to protect them.

Looked LOADS better afterwards. Probably not quite as bright as a new set, but definitely good enough!

Basically - you can't make that one look any worse so give it a go! :)

TheJoyOfSix Apr 6th, 2011 16:40

Nick, just be aware that the 760's with those rear lights have longer clusters than the 740 with the same style lights. If you can only get hold of one light make sure it's from a 760 otherwise you'll have one long and one short cluster and it'll look daft! I had the same issue with a 1990 760 I had and ended up putting a pair of 740 lights on it as I couldn't get a 760 one anywhere.

By the way, the longer lights are the reason why the later style Rear Decor Panel part is only listed for 740's for 1990> cars - the earlier style rear lights were common to both 740's and 760's so the early style Decor Panel fits both.

Skylaneguy Apr 6th, 2011 18:02

The Cibie tail lights use a plastic which rapidly degrades in sunlight. If it were my car, I'd change to the 1989 and earlier 740 tail lights.

Not to start a war, but 940 tail lights are quite different and can't be adapted to your car.

Citizen.Agfa Apr 6th, 2011 19:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheJoyOfSix (Post 879755)
Nick, just be aware that the 760's with those rear lights have longer clusters than the 740 with the same style lights. If you can only get hold of one light make sure it's from a 760 otherwise you'll have one long and one short cluster and it'll look daft! I had the same issue with a 1990 760 I had and ended up putting a pair of 740 lights on it as I couldn't get a 760 one anywhere.

By the way, the longer lights are the reason why the later style Rear Decor Panel part is only listed for 740's for 1990> cars - the earlier style rear lights were common to both 740's and 760's so the early style Decor Panel fits both.

Thanks for that Rupe, useful info.

Mmmm, looks like I'll be getting the polishing gear out then! :Not_Impressed:

Never mind, if that's my only problem then I'll be well happy.

Thanks for everyone's input, much appreciated.

C.A.

Laney760 Apr 6th, 2011 23:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylaneguy (Post 879808)
The Cibie tail lights use a plastic which rapidly degrades in sunlight. If it were my car, I'd change to the 1989 and earlier 740 tail lights.

Not to start a war, but 940 tail lights are quite different and can't be adapted to your car.

Cant find the pm but N1 Volvo Nut did tell me how to adapt the lights, hes an mot tester and spends a lot of time buying and doing up and selling Volvos, if he sees this maybe he'll explain, afair it involved cutting out a small amount of metal in the boot, excuse the vagueness.....

ian2000t Apr 6th, 2011 23:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laneystrider (Post 880125)
Cant find the pm but N1 Volvo Nut did tell me how to adapt the lights, hes an mot tester and spends a lot of time buying and doing up and selling Volvos, if he sees this maybe he'll explain, afair it involved cutting out a small amount of metal in the boot, excuse the vagueness.....

You sure you're not confusing this with fitting the late 740 lights (like in the pic) onto an early 740 (6 square light blocks)?

I did that to mine, which involved wiring changes and cutting some bits of metal away from the rear panel.