Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Engine: D5: QuestionEngline Loom XC70 D5 185BHP (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=275097)

fahvernugen Nov 17th, 2017 19:38

QuestionEngline Loom XC70 D5 185BHP

Hi,

I've been told that my 2006 D5 185BHP Engine Loom has failed/broken down and needs replacing.

I'm not really in the market to purchase a new one from Volvo as price is prohibitive.

I've been looking for a second hand one, and I'm assuming the 2003-2006 XC70 is a MK2 version?

The engine loom I have my eye on is apparently for:

2005- 2008 Volvo V70 S60 XC90 2.4d 185 D5 engine wiring loom:
- Volvo V70 / XC70 mk2 with second generation D5 engine 2005-2006 on this model,
- or, 2005-2008 on S60

That means if the seller is correct it will fit my Car?

BTW the symptoms I had with my car were a slight missfire which progressively got worse, and put the engine and gearbox into "Limp" mode. The dealer took it in and said the wiring loom was breaking down and that they had patched it up and they did not know how long it would last. (I now read.. We reset the fault codes away you go) they said the missfire was on Cylinder 2.

I also had all the Tappets done in April too :(

This car has been awesome, 199,000 miles on it and gutted to have to get rid of it because of this :(

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Best Regards

--Roger

Clan Nov 17th, 2017 22:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by fahvernugen (Post 2338817)
Hi,

I've been told that my 2006 D5 185BHP Engine Loom has failed/broken down and needs replacing.

I'm not really in the market to purchase a new one from Volvo as price is prohibitive.

I've been looking for a second hand one, and I'm assuming the 2003-2006 XC70 is a MK2 version?

The engine loom I have my eye on is apparently for:

2005- 2008 Volvo V70 S60 XC90 2.4d 185 D5 engine wiring loom:
- Volvo V70 / XC70 mk2 with second generation D5 engine 2005-2006 on this model,
- or, 2005-2008 on S60

That means if the seller is correct it will fit my Car?

BTW the symptoms I had with my car were a slight missfire which progressively got worse, and put the engine and gearbox into "Limp" mode. The dealer took it in and said the wiring loom was breaking down and that they had patched it up and they did not know how long it would last. (I now read.. We reset the fault codes away you go) they said the missfire was on Cylinder 2.

I also had all the Tappets done in April too :(

This car has been awesome, 199,000 miles on it and gutted to have to get rid of it because of this :(

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Best Regards

--Roger

There are repair terminals available from volvo to repair any plug or socket , and a broken wire is simple to repair ..
The Injector plug terminals are favourite , why not replace those on cylinder 2 for a start ?

fahvernugen Nov 18th, 2017 09:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2338922)
There are repair terminals available from volvo to repair any plug or socket , and a broken wire is simple to repair ..
The Injector plug terminals are favourite , why not replace those on cylinder 2 for a start ?

Thanks for the pointer, do you have a picture/part number of the terminal connector? (I'm assuming at this point process would be:

Cut off old connector
re-solder new connector wires and heat wrap?

The loom is £50 and I don't mind spending an afternoon of my time swapping it out, but to be told the "Engine Loom" was "Breaking Down" seemed ludicrous.

But Damage could have been caused when the garage did the Tappets I suppose as they would have had to have removed them to take the top off the engine?

Clan Nov 18th, 2017 10:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by fahvernugen (Post 2338992)
Thanks for the pointer, do you have a picture/part number of the terminal connector? (I'm assuming at this point process would be:

Cut off old connector
re-solder new connector wires and heat wrap?

The loom is £50 and I don't mind spending an afternoon of my time swapping it out, but to be told the "Engine Loom" was "Breaking Down" seemed ludicrous.

But Damage could have been caused when the garage did the Tappets I suppose as they would have had to have removed them to take the top off the engine?

you said the loom was expensive but £50 is ridiculously cheap for the engine loom , i would guess more like £500 to £800 !

If the fault code pointed to injector SIGNAL low then terminals or injector are the answer , If it was a miss-fire fault code it is probably the injector has a mechanical problem .

D5 Injector terminal wire repair 30765319 you need 2 per injector

fahvernugen Nov 19th, 2017 19:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2339012)
you said the loom was expensive but £50 is ridiculously cheap for the engine loom , i would guess more like £500 to £800 !

If the fault code pointed to injector SIGNAL low then terminals or injector are the answer , If it was a miss-fire fault code it is probably the injector has a mechanical problem .

D5 Injector terminal wire repair 30765319 you need 2 per injector

I thought I had posted a reply to this one, no the Second Hand Loom is £50, the new Volvo part is something like £670 + VAT + Fitting :(

I'll look into those terminal repair wires tomorrow, and as I think the terminals would have been removed for the Tappet service, Cylinder 2's could have been damaged :(

I'm assuming these are just new wires and terminals that go into the old Terminal Connector?

Thanks for the help, much appreciated :)

--Roger

Clan Nov 19th, 2017 20:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by fahvernugen (Post 2339438)
I thought I had posted a reply to this one, no the Second Hand Loom is £50, the new Volvo part is something like £670 + VAT + Fitting :(

I'll look into those terminal repair wires tomorrow, and as I think the terminals would have been removed for the Tappet service, Cylinder 2's could have been damaged :(

I'm assuming these are just new wires and terminals that go into the old Terminal Connector?

Thanks for the help, much appreciated :)

--Roger

Yes the terminal repair is a piece of wire with an improved terminal on the end , You need to press a thin narrow flat blade into the release slot in the terminal housing to release the terminal from the housing . If you do not have injector signal fault codes this is unlikely to be the problem .

fahvernugen Nov 19th, 2017 21:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2339480)
Yes the terminal repair is a piece of wire with an improved terminal on the end , You need to press a thin narrow flat blade into the release slot in the terminal housing to release the terminal from the housing . If you do not have injector signal fault codes this is unlikely to be the problem .

Hi,

I finally found the paperwork with the error codes:

ECM-23B0 Injector Cylinder 2 - Singal Missing - DTC is Found Active.

So I think the repair piece of wire is my first starting point. I have done the release a couple of times before on VW Terminal Housings, it sounds like the same process :)

Soldering irong and Heat Shrink it is then...

fahvernugen Jul 12th, 2018 13:42

Just wanted to say a belated thanks to Clan, as after purchasing the repair wires, and spending approx. 20 minutes fixing the loom, the car has run like a dream ever since!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2339480)

Clan Jul 12th, 2018 15:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by fahvernugen (Post 2424371)
Just wanted to say a belated thanks to Clan, as after purchasing the repair wires, and spending approx. 20 minutes fixing the loom, the car has run like a dream ever since!

you are welcome , there is a 25% chance it could be the injector though ,