Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   MOT Due (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=291756)

davB Feb 13th, 2019 07:46

MOT Due

My XC60 D4 goes in for a service and the first MOT next week. I suspect that the front tyres will require replacement. If it fails on tyre tread depth I believe this is classed as 'dangerous' condition and the car cannot be driven anywhere else.
My point is that the dealer could then insist on new tyres at their prices. I haven't checked main dealer prices but I think I'll have a conversation with them beforehand to see if they are competitive before submitting the car for the MOT - it can be delayed until April when it is finally due.

Dash300 Feb 13th, 2019 08:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by davB (Post 2495144)
My XC60 D4 goes in for a service and the first MOT next week. I suspect that the front tyres will require replacement. If it fails on tyre tread depth I believe this is classed as 'dangerous' condition and the car cannot be driven anywhere else.
My point is that the dealer could then insist on new tyres at their prices. I haven't checked main dealer prices but I think I'll have a conversation with them beforehand to see if they are competitive before submitting the car for the MOT - it can be delayed until April when it is finally due.

If you think they need changing then change them! What is the point in waiting to be told.

Tannaton Feb 13th, 2019 08:44

For any dangerous defects the paperwork will say something like the vehicle should not be driven until repaired but there is no legal means of preventing you from doing so - but you could of course be prosecuted for each individual defect. Two worn out tyres could (and should....) get you an instant 6 points and £200 in fines (set aside the increased risks of an accident...) The car is your property and the dealership cannot prevent you from driving it away.

The point is that it is no more or no less of an offence to drive the car to the MOT test with defects than to drive it away from the MOT test having failed, and if your previous MOT has not expired (or car less than 3 years old) you still have a valid MOT (or don't need one) but your car is not roadworthy.

The other thing to think about is that to incentivise you not to drive the car for many faults if you leave the car at the test centre to be repaired you do not have to pay a fee for the re-test. This is could be more than the price difference between the dealer and a fast fit outlet for the tyres.

As has been said if you know or suspect the tyres are end of life - just do the responsible thing and get them changed - why mess about?

Chrisv60 Feb 13th, 2019 08:58

You could always measure the depth before taking it in, perhaps by using the "20p" test.

If they are worn but still legal, you are likely to get an advisory on the MOT. I'm always a bit wary of vehicles with worn tyres as advisories in the MOT history as it suggests the vehicle has been maintained at minimal cost or neglected.

Whichever, it's a big, heavy vehicle, get them changed even if still just legal.

Friendly Feb 13th, 2019 09:30

I would also suggest replacing you tyres before the MOT.

You can the pick the tyre of your choice rather than taking what the dealer have, and you can shop around for a good price.

iain cooper Feb 13th, 2019 09:33

I would have the dealer service the car and then get the mot done yourself elsewhere ?

Iain

ps and change the tyres anyway if your are at all not happy with them, what is the mileage?

AndyJudge Feb 13th, 2019 10:17

I found the price the dealer got my Cross-Climates for was pretty competitive anyway, yes I may have been able to save a few quid but as they had the car up on the lift anyway.

Tannaton Feb 13th, 2019 11:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by iain cooper (Post 2495174)
I would have the dealer service the car and then get the mot done yourself elsewhere ?

Iain

ps and change the tyres anyway if your are at all not happy with them, what is the mileage?

As it's the first MOT that's not due until April - he will want to get the MOT done at the dealer so any non wear/tear issues can be rectified under warranty (assuming he's not exceeded 60k).

Turnwood Feb 13th, 2019 12:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tannaton (Post 2495220)
As it's the first MOT that's not due until April - he will want to get the MOT done at the dealer so any non wear/tear issues can be rectified under warranty (assuming he's not exceeded 60k).

Volvo also charge only £5 for the MOT if it is serviced at the same time.

Boatie Feb 13th, 2019 13:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by iain cooper (Post 2495174)

Iain

If it's the first MOT I assume the car is still under warranty. Having both service and 1st MOT at the same time effectively means that the car can't fail the MOT for any mechanical reason. It's worth noting that the first MOT dates from the actual date of testing not the cars third 'birthday'.

Echo the comments around getting the tyres changed sooner rather than later.

Frank

V90