Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Stealing a car by holding a bag up to the front door. (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=267202)

tt82 Apr 30th, 2017 19:06

Stealing a car by holding a bag up to the front door.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/04/29/thieve...-door-6605444/

As somebody with PCC which has keyless entry/start, this has me thinking. My car is parked about 40-50ft away from where the keys are kept and the nearest key to outside the house is currently 6-8ft (this will now change!) I'm assuming the device needs to be within the distance of the key as it would normally be to the car to unlock it for it to work, however the PCC can communicate with the car over quite a long distance so would intercepting these signals be enough to open it with the device?

I realise that a Volvo is probably not high up on a car thiefs list and Volvo's security does seem better than the German brands, as BMW have already been on Watchdog over how easy their car were to steal, but it does have me wondering if I need to take extra precautions.

IainG Apr 30th, 2017 19:23

Hi
I did see one article saying it would be wise to keep your keys in the fridge as the metal casing shields the signal.

Would be a bit safer than the Microwave or oven though!!

Not sure if it is genuine advice or tongue in cheek.

Iain

wimorrison Apr 30th, 2017 20:05

Brings a new meaning to the keyless entry systems - lockless entry systems :(

Whilst I agree that Volvos won't be high on the list of desirable cars to nick, I fear that their keyless system will have the same vulnerability, I can't see any reason why it shouldn't:(

mocambique-amazone Apr 30th, 2017 20:44

Hello tt82

keyless go is not safe in any way.
You have 2 options:
1: go to your car dealer and let him remove totally the system, you will need a key after this. The safest way.
2: duckduckgo.com the following: Car Keyless Go Blocking Security Bag. RFID Blocking Bag
You have to use it EVERY TIME after leaving the car.

They steal a lot of cars with this open system now, and no brand is safe. Your Volvo is in the same way unsafe as Renault, Volkswagen, BMW, Mercedes.... there is NO SAFE BRAND that has keyless go as a comfortable gig.
The range extender get cheaper and cheaper, in the near future the nasty little criminal bastards will own this too.
Save your car, and buy never again a car with this invitation to drive away your car.

good luck, Kay

volvo always Apr 30th, 2017 20:51

Surely you should be able to disable keyless starting as it's a stupidly thought out system if this easy to steal.

James:thumbs_up:

oragex Apr 30th, 2017 20:58

I'm guessing the guy keeps an amplifier near the door. If the fob is designed to send a continuous signal then this is a flawed design. I think the fob actually should need first to receive a signal from the car when it's in the proximity, then the fob should send a response signal to allow the doors to open and the engine to be started.

Rustyfrog Apr 30th, 2017 22:27

There is nothing that is totally theft proof.

Boffins come out with some new wonderful, crack proof security system, some more clever crook comes up with a system to beat it.

Its not just cars that are vunerable but anything of any value.

id5 May 1st, 2017 09:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by oragex (Post 2269023)
I'm guessing the guy keeps an amplifier near the door. If the fob is designed to send a continuous signal then this is a flawed design. I think the fob actually should need first to receive a signal from the car when it's in the proximity, then the fob should send a response signal to allow the doors to open and the engine to be started.

It's the other way round, the car continually searches for the fob, the fob then responds. The electronics in the criminals bag essentially just extends the range of the cars search and the fobs response.

Many shops, offices and companies use similar technology to protect hi-value items such as electronic items, alcohol, clothes, etc. All the criminal does is put the item in a foil lined bag and walk out past the reader which can no longer 'see' the item.

Want more fun as a criminal, stand in a public place with a similar set of electronics and read the same type of electronics that are in contactless credit and debit cards. Bill the card holder £0.99 and they rarely notice, and by the time they do the account it has gone into has been emptied.

christheancient May 1st, 2017 10:49

Quote from that article...

"'The metal blocks the signal,’ he said. ‘We think these keyless fobs continually emit a signal. You can turn them off but most people don’t."

Perhaps more people will after reading that. And/or think carefully about where they keep the keys when they're not actually using the car.

But I'm glad that my C70 doesn't have one of those. Just a blipper and a key. And they are kept in a safe place in my residence. The new 'system' I do find to be a piece of technology for the sake of technology. I have yet to be in a situation where I would find it useful and/or necessary. Perhaps it is for the sake of laziness.

And I bet it's 'inconvenient' when the keyless fob battery goes flat!

xsaab May 1st, 2017 13:23

Re contactless credit cards, you can buy a card that emits a signal that blocks the harvesting of credit cards - so far it appears to be effective even when it is a foot or so from the contactless reader and prevents a contactless payment.