Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Other XC90 Problem: XC90 D5 Geartronic - Hesitation/delay in pulling away... (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=63947)

vexed Jan 16th, 2009 14:05

Recently had my 03 updated with dealer downloads, which has appeared to help.

The only safe way of pulling out of a junction is to select 1st in the manual mode.

GSMGuy Jan 16th, 2009 14:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by vexed (Post 449756)
Recently had my 03 updated with dealer downloads, which has appeared to help.

The only safe way of pulling out of a junction is to select 1st in the manual mode.

Selecting manual 1st makes no difference whatsoever to the takeoff...

Mike

AB-UK Jan 16th, 2009 23:38

I've tried it too - doesn't affect the initial delay.

redarmy Jan 17th, 2009 16:21

hi i have recently purchased my first ever volvo with the model being xc90 se d5 automatic and absolutely love it that is until this week when a message popped up on dash saying engine system service required was not concerned rang dealers and booked it in for monday morning, now the acceleration is all shot and am pulling in excess of 3500 rpm,s before it changes up and am getting more and more worried by this.

Blowpipe Jan 19th, 2009 18:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSMGuy (Post 444224)
I'm convinced that the lengthy delay between depressing the accelerator, and the car actually moving is a DANGER in my XC90..

There have been numerous threads about this in the forum, but I think it's time to raise the issue with Volvo, and the more people who find it a problem, the better.

So, if you drive an XC90 Geartronic D5 and think the delay when pulling away is an issue, please post here so I can gauge numbers...

Please don't post that you don't find it a problem or that yours doesn't do it, as I'd like to keep the thread to the point.

Would be grateful if a mod could sticky this too...

Thanks

Mike

Just to add to the numbers, show me down for also considering this a dangerous feature of the D5. I've adjusted my driving style to compensate, but one of these days a situation will suddenly develop and this won't be of any help.

4wheeldriver Jan 19th, 2009 23:44

Thats mine going back into Volvo for their 2nd attempt at it on thursday and if I here the words " the comp says there's nowt wrong" Ill just phone Volvo while im there and see what they say!! might even illicit a proper response if im standing in the service department at the time!! Will post the outcome!!

dedalus Jan 21st, 2009 12:37

onother one

Mine is 2006 d5 - doing the same - does anyone else get a lot of whine - the revs climb but nothing happens? - its as if torque convertor ( I assume it has one) is faulty - this is a recent thing as I much preferred the box over my friends earlier model - now its awful

redarmy Jan 21st, 2009 21:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4wheeldriver (Post 451443)
Thats mine going back into Volvo for their 2nd attempt at it on thursday and if I here the words " the comp says there's nowt wrong" Ill just phone Volvo while im there and see what they say!! might even illicit a proper response if im standing in the service department at the time!! Will post the outcome!!

hi 4wheeldriver have just got my xc90 back after a three day wait and it seems ok at the moment have asked the dealers for schedule of the work they carried out and they are going to forward it to me but apparently the slow accelaration is a safety feature built in so when there is a fault with the engine it automatically cuts power in half allegadly will post results when i recieve them.

AB-UK Jan 21st, 2009 22:07

As they explained to me a few years ago when I first complained about it - this dangerous fault is considered by Volvo to be a "feature".

Finbo Jan 23rd, 2009 15:26

I've just purchased a 54 plate (MY 2005) XC90 D5 geartronic.

Unfortunately, I couldn't afford the 185bhp model and the comments on the forum about delay, etc when taking off were a concern.

I test drove 3 D5's and didn't find any hesitation/lag with any of them. The one I bought, as soon as you touch the pedal it starts to move. I must admit it's not a greyhound out of the blocks, but it doesn't feel unsafe and I'm happy with it. Compared to my petrol V70, it's better because I felt I had to push the pedal harder to get the desired response.

Whether it's me or my driving style (I tend not to push it too hard unless I have to), I don't know whether my comments just confuse things further.

Why are some cars like it and others aren't, or will mine show these characteristics in time?

Cheers,

Finbo