Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Start/Stop behaviour contrary to owners manual (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=326972)

RDesign4Life Aug 6th, 2022 21:37

Start/Stop behaviour contrary to owners manual

In the manual it says engine won't auto stop if not up to normal operating temperature and also on autos not until gearbox is at normal operating temp.

Mine stops way before this. First traffic lights on my work commute are only 2 or 3 mins away from home and if I forget to turn the stupid thing off it stalls the car at that point.

Anyone else see this behaviour from their start/stop? Car is a 65 plate XC60 D5.

TeamG Aug 6th, 2022 22:07

I don’t see it as I instinctively turn the damn thing off immediately after starting.

Clan Aug 6th, 2022 23:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by RDesign4Life (Post 2838420)
In the manual it says engine won't auto stop if not up to normal operating temperature and also on autos not until gearbox is at normal operating temp.

Mine stops way before this. First traffic lights on my work commute are only 2 or 3 mins away from home and if I forget to turn the stupid thing off it stalls the car at that point.

Anyone else see this behaviour from their start/stop? Car is a 65 plate XC60 D5.

if you monitor the coolant temp via the OBD port you will see they warm up incredibly fast.
does the engine stall you say or stop/start stops it?

SnineT Aug 6th, 2022 23:45

Mine used to do it as well, I quite liked the stop start if I'm honest, it however wouldn't always do it like that, I think iirc there are various things that can stop it like the battery condition, outside temps, low fuel and a few others I can't remember right now,

The thing that did annoy me though was if you slightly reduce brake pressure it would fire back up, however it also worked out the other way round where I could roll up to the blockage using gentle braking and not need to even let it stop if I balanced the pressure right so she wouldn't crawl but I also didn't have full pedal down at the time, works a treat for wanting to get onto a roundabout or out of a side road and not have that mental lag waiting for the fire up.

RDesign4Life Aug 6th, 2022 23:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2838428)
if you monitor the coolant temp via the OBD port you will see they warm up incredibly fast.
does the engine stall you say or stop/start stops it?

Start stop stops it. No way it's up to temp after 3mins takes about 10mins to get to 85-90 degrees coolant temp.. I have monitored it. The dash indicator goes to normal position after 5-8 mins but real normal is 85-90C and that takes 9 or 10 mins even at this time of year.

May be normal behaviour but It's not what the manual says.

MacV50 Aug 7th, 2022 09:22

My previous V50 would shut off less than a mile from starting! It also had an incredibly slow warm up time so I doubt the coolant had much heat in it. The XC60 certainly warms up much faster but I'm still not happy with it shutting off so soon when the oil will still be quite cold.

I tend to turn off the feature unless I know the traffic light sequence so am sure I'll have a long wait

RDesign4Life Aug 7th, 2022 12:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacV50 (Post 2838456)
My previous V50 would shut off less than a mile from starting! It also had an incredibly slow warm up time so I doubt the coolant had much heat in it. The XC60 certainly warms up much faster but I'm still not happy with it shutting off so soon when the oil will still be quite cold.

I tend to turn off the feature unless I know the traffic light sequence so am sure I'll have a long wait

Ok thanks so it's not just mine doing this before engine has heated up and I now know I don't have a fault somewhere. Well other than than the designed in fault from Volvo stopping and starting cold engines that is!

johnnyoro Aug 7th, 2022 13:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by RDesign4Life (Post 2838420)

Mine does this aswell within 50 yards of a cold startup and then like you I turn it off . In my opinion as long as the battery state of charge is above 80% the stop start will work even with a cold engine . It is a very poorly thought out system on an auto .

RDesign4Life Aug 7th, 2022 13:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyoro (Post 2838494)
Mine does this aswell within 50 yards of a cold startup and then like you I turn it off . In my opinion as long as the battery state of charge is above 80% the stop start will work even with a cold engine . It is a very poorly thought out system on an auto .

Yes and contrary to what the Volvo manual says should happen, it states start stop will not operate if...

> the engine does not have normal operating temperature. (M+A)
> the gearbox does not have normal operating temperature. (A)

page 278 of the manual...

https://az685612.vo.msecnd.net/pdfs/...GB_tp18889.pdf

Cloth Ears Aug 8th, 2022 10:01

Yes, this is my experience too (V60CC D4AWD). I have a junction half a mile from home, it always stops the engine, and there's no way it is up to temp.

Also, why does it need the footbrake applied? Why can't it work with the parking brake applied? According to the manual, it will restart if you release the footbrake, which means stopping at junctions with your foot on the brake rather than using the parking brake. That's not good practice.