Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   A heads up (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=300124)

Dippydog Nov 1st, 2019 17:38

A heads up

In case anyone is looking for one there is an ad in a classic car paper for a 1988 740GL auto estate,said to have been owned 10yrs and a new M.o.T. Advertised at £495ono.Got to be worth a look by someone at that price?Car is apparently somewhere in Cheshire.
I will stress I'm in no way connected with this car.

Pete940 Nov 1st, 2019 17:51

Have you got a number, or know which particular paper it is in?

Dippydog Nov 1st, 2019 18:12

As I'm not sure how far I can go with forum rules I've sent you a P.M.

Dippydog Nov 6th, 2019 18:28

The above car is still being advertised for sale-whether still available or not I don't know[it could I suppose have been sold but the advert not cancelled]-this week it's been joined by a 1990 740 saloon said to have fsh,fresh M.o.T. and recent timing belt change with 102,000mls for a firm £850 this one is in Warwickshire. Both cars advertised in Classic Car Weekly £1,000 and under section.Again I have no connection to either vehicle.

Laird Scooby Nov 6th, 2019 18:55

Tried looking the cars up online but only got as far as the "Subscribe to CCW" page after reading the blurb all about it.

As i already have Practical Classics on subscription, i've tried CCW a couple of times (same publishers) and haven't been impressed as it seems to have copies of articles i've already seen in PC. However for some people looking at buying/selling a car, it's probably pretty good.

Maybe someone who gets CCW could take a pic of the ads in question and post them up in case someone is interested?

john.wigley Nov 6th, 2019 20:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laird Scooby (Post 2569445)
Tried looking the cars up online but only got as far as the "Subscribe to CCW" page after reading the blurb all about it.

As i already have Practical Classics on subscription, i've tried CCW a couple of times (same publishers) and haven't been impressed as it seems to have copies of articles i've already seen in PC. However for some people looking at buying/selling a car, it's probably pretty good.

Maybe someone who gets CCW could take a pic of the ads in question and post them up in case someone is interested?

I subscribe to CCW, 'L.S.' but I'm afraid that I lack the skills to do as you ask.

I can however say that the following Volvos are advertised (on page 66) inthis week's copy:
1) 1998 960 Auto Saloon in Yorkshire priced at £1200 ono
2) 1998 S40 1.8i in Oxford priced at £3995 (Yes, really!)
3) 1969 164 in Lame (?) priced at £7500

And on page 72 (Under £1000)
4) 1990 740 Saloon in Warwickshire priced at £850
5) 1988 740 Estate in Cheshire priced at £495 ono

If any member is seriously interested (please, not just curious) in any of the above cars and do not have access to a copy of CCW, they may pm me and I will give them as much information as there is in the advertisement.

Although I subscribe to the paper, which I consider a very good read, I would respectfully point out that it is also widely available at a cover price of just £2.80.

Regards, John.

Pete940 Nov 8th, 2019 18:05

The 740 in Cheshire is no longer available. It's going to require a lot of elbow grease but I'll get there eventually.

bob12 Nov 8th, 2019 18:28

I have given up the will to live on this post .... it's sh1t. Why in the first place put it up with no positive link .... who knows! Mr Bob.

Dippydog Nov 9th, 2019 07:53

It was put up with no positive link because A] I don't know how to do links and B] I don't know how far forum rules go on such matters and did not wish to fall foul of them.It must have worked to some extent in its original format as it seems Pete940 has bought the estate.

john.wigley Nov 9th, 2019 09:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob12 (Post 2570106)
I have given up the will to live on this post .... it's sh1t. Why in the first place put it up with no positive link .... who knows! Mr Bob.

Well said, 'Dippydog'.

'bob12', your criticism was harsh, unjustified and unwarranted. 'Dippydog' had no need to post as he did; he did so as a service to his fellow enthusiasts.

If anyone had been interested in the car, all that they needed to do was to drop 'DD' a PM. I also was prepared to assist anyone genuinely requiring more information. Or they could have bought their own copy of CCW and looked for themselves.

I too am pleased that the car has found a new home with 'pete940'.

Regards, John.