Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   S40 (New) General : Stuck changing suspension strut (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=294260)

PaddyB Apr 28th, 2019 14:38

Stuck changing suspension strut

Hi.

I'm changing the suspension on my S40 & I've done to a standstill removing the flange bolt from the knuckle. It is stuck fast. I've been spraying it with WD40 daily since last weekend.

I got my impact wrench on it with a 15mm socket & managed to round the head. I'm looking for advice on how to get the bolt out.

Cheers

Paddy.

Clan Apr 28th, 2019 15:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaddyB (Post 2516649)
Hi.

I'm changing the suspension on my S40 & I've done to a standstill removing the flange bolt from the knuckle. It is stuck fast. I've been spraying it with WD40 daily since last weekend.

I got my impact wrench on it with a 15mm socket & managed to round the head. I'm looking for advice on how to get the bolt out.

Cheers

Paddy.

You need the special tool which fits in the slot at the bottom , it opens out the slot then the strut comes out of the hub easily.

T5R92011 Apr 28th, 2019 17:23

Hopefully below will help, watch from 7 mins 18s (EDIT!)

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

PaddyB Apr 28th, 2019 18:50

Cheers T5R.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Montana Apr 29th, 2019 15:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaddyB (Post 2516649)
Hi.

Cheers

Paddy.

Did the bolt undo any?

If so It will help if you hit the top of the hub in a downwards motion (use an old microfibre towel bunched up on the top to prevent the hammer damaging the metal).

Montana Apr 29th, 2019 15:16

As for a 'special tool' a screwdriver or chisel will do the trick to manipulate it apart. Once its out give it a smear of copper grease when refitting.

PaddyB Apr 29th, 2019 23:34

No Montana, the bolt is still there & quite dedicated to remaining that way. I'm going to get medieval on it with a hand sledge & blowtorch a la T5R's video.

Cheers for the heads up about the special tool - I'd been searching thru VIDA for it & it wasn't obvious what it was.

Hopefully I can get it all finished this coming BH weekend - gives me time to get myself new droplink lock nuts & flange bolts.

Cheers

Montana May 4th, 2019 19:31

If theres space get an angle grinder or dremel in there and cut the head off - and hit the bolt shaft out.