Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   940 surprise ! (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=303505)

slowprop Feb 12th, 2020 14:12

940 surprise !

Stopped at the traffic lights behind another 940 estate today and was enthusiastically and excitedly waved at by two very attractive young ladies. Let me assure you that doesn't usually happen to me. I didn't know 940s were such babe magnets. Who needs a Porsche eh ?

360beast Feb 12th, 2020 14:20

Haha, it's usually middle aged men that comment on mine!

They obviously have good taste in cars.

griston64 Feb 12th, 2020 18:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowprop (Post 2599358)
Stopped at the traffic lights behind another 940 estate today and was enthusiastically and excitedly waved at by two very attractive young ladies. Let me assure you that doesn't usually happen to me. I didn't know 940s were such babe magnets. Who needs a Porsche eh ?

I'll need to move back to Dartford :teeth_smile::teeth_smile::teeth_smile:

Laird Scooby Feb 12th, 2020 19:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowprop (Post 2599358)

Depends which set of traffic lights you were stopped at, they could have been trying to "entice" you into a bit of "business"! :tounge_smile:

AllHailKingVolvo Feb 12th, 2020 20:44

That never happens to me!!

I do take pleasure leaving young lads in their lowered shopping trollies sitting in my dust at the lights with their baseball caps spinning wildly, though...it's a novelty to be able to do that with my turbo 940 after years of driving NA 740s and 240s.

Some of them clock the car and know there's more to a 940 than meets the eye, but most of them clearly think "window cleaner's car" when they see a Volvo estate and don't expect anything until the boost kicks in...

Laird Scooby Feb 12th, 2020 21:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllHailKingVolvo (Post 2599507)
That never happens to me!!

I do take pleasure leaving young lads in their lowered shopping trollies sitting in my dust at the lights with their baseball caps spinning wildly, though...it's a novelty to be able to do that with my turbo 940 after years of driving NA 740s and 240s.

Some of them clock the car and know there's more to a 940 than meets the eye, but most of them clearly think "window cleaner's car" when they see a Volvo estate and don't expect anything until the boost kicks in...

It might if you go to Dartford and hang around the wrong traffic lights Phil! :tounge_smile:

The youngters in their shopping trollies make me laugh too, they think a 760 is only a 740 with better/more toys and get the shock of their lives when they hear the V6 howling away in front of them and they taste my exhaust fumes! :lol:

Similar fun to be had in my Rover, most youngsters think it's a grandads car with a n/asp 2.0 under the bonnet! :laughing-smiley-018
Do they get a shock or what when i leave them standing!

loki_the_glt Feb 13th, 2020 08:31

Spoilsports

You're all such meanies! These young people have few enough pleasures in life and you go blowing them away in the traffic lights grand prix. Have you lost all sense of decorum - Volvos are, unless they're 850T5-Rs, meant to pootle around at 25mph or less, not embarass those who haven't worked out which way round a baseball cap goes or that hoodies don't have to be worn inside the car.

I feel that I can no longer be associated with a group such as this one.

Signed

General-marshal O.L. de Codger (Retd.)

mhuk Feb 13th, 2020 09:37

Once a older chap told me what a nice car I had. Sadly no women. I do however cycle everywhere and when I see a nice car at the lights I do comment how nice it is. Saw a stunning 944 few months back.

Laird Scooby Feb 13th, 2020 11:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by loki_the_glt (Post 2599594)
You're all such meanies! These young people have few enough pleasures in life and you go blowing them away in the traffic lights grand prix. Have you lost all sense of decorum - Volvos are, unless they're 850T5-Rs, meant to pootle around at 25mph or less, not embarass those who haven't worked out which way round a baseball cap goes or that hoodies don't have to be worn inside the car.

I feel that I can no longer be associated with a group such as this one.

Signed

General-marshal O.L. de Codger (Retd.)

Education should be fun though. :thumbs_up:

Us old farts are educating the youngsters that their stanced and slammed 1.2 litre shopping trollies just don't have what it takes. :nah:

Nobody has stipulated who it should be fun for though! :tounge_smile:

john.wigley Feb 13th, 2020 12:06

'Decorum', 'loki'?? I always thought that that was something which one did to apples!

Regards, John.