Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S40 / V40 '96-'04 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Cheap ebc green stuff pads. (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=310884)

clarkey1984 Oct 15th, 2020 11:35

Cheap ebc green stuff pads.

2 Attachment(s)
Was just looking at brakes on euro car parts as the hilariously cheap items I bought over lockdown are giving me terrible judder already and saw these heavily discounted green stuff ebc items, so I've ordered them, let's see if they fit or not, although the fitment guide I found on the ebcbrakeshop site using the DP21139 part number suggests that they are correct, plus another site I found says that they fit the 99 to 04.models, and I know that around 98 ish they went up to the 281mm disks from the early 256mm type, so I am quite confident.

gatos Oct 15th, 2020 13:52

They changed the front discs in August 1997, so most probably these are ok

P156KWJ Oct 15th, 2020 17:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by clarkey1984 (Post 2673300)
Was just looking at brakes on euro car parts as the hilariously cheap items I bought over lockdown are giving me terrible judder already and saw these heavily discounted green stuff ebc items, so I've ordered them, let's see if they fit or not, although the fitment guide I found on the ebcbrakeshop site using the DP21139 part number suggests that they are correct, plus another site I found says that they fit the 99 to 04.models, and I know that around 98 ish they went up to the 281mm disks from the early 256mm type, so I am quite confident.

Out of interest which brand of discs did you fit?

clarkey1984 Oct 15th, 2020 18:48

They were drive tech, the cheapest ones I could see as money was tight, they were zinc coated ones, although it's almost certainly my own fault they've gone wrong though as the pads weren't very old, so to my peril I reused them, I've just found the last pair of genuine OE Volvo discs for £49.99 on eBay from a seller I've bought gen Volvo bits from before so got those on the way too.

P156KWJ Oct 15th, 2020 19:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by clarkey1984 (Post 2673409)
They were drive tech, the cheapest ones I could see as money was tight, they were zinc coated ones, although it's almost certainly my own fault they've gone wrong though as the pads weren't very old, so to my peril I reused them, I've just found the last pair of genuine OE Volvo discs for £49.99 on eBay from a seller I've bought gen Volvo bits from before so got those on the way too.

From experience DriveTec is indeed trash, I'm pleasantly surprised by the Eicher discs and pads I put on the front about 18 months ago, they perform really well even from a higher speed and always consistent regardless of temperature, speed, weather etc. Not sure what brand of brakes my Saab had when I bought it but I can only assume it was Pilgrim's Choice as they had the same braking properties as cheese.

Discombobulated Oct 15th, 2020 21:57

I’ve just put some EBC yellow stuff pads in my S60, not bedded in yet so can’t really comment on them other than to say buying them was an absolute nightmare and I found their staff so unhelpful.

They have 3 different options listed and said they would need a picture of my pads or my disc size, I stripped my brakes to take pictures of my pads and emailed them only to be told they would need the disc size, when I showed them the live chat we’d had saying a picture or disc size was needed they wouldn’t respond to me at all. So I had to strip them again to measure the discs.

If I could have bought similar pads from somewhere else I would have done. Hopefully the pads will be worth the hassle.

Cheers, Luke

bimmer49 Oct 16th, 2020 16:28

I had some green ones a couple of years ago. Good braking around here on the mountains. I upgraded the discs to ventillated and drilled items. Good initially but they are awful now one year on. I'll have them skimmed at 15€ and see if that corrects the judder. OK when "empty" but pushed hard and it's annoying.

MDS40 Oct 18th, 2020 12:37

I used green stuff pads on my previous Jaguar.
Discs would warp after around 5k miles. eventually replaced them with Pagid pads and the problem went away.
The green stuff pads were also not very good when cold.