Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   S60 Tyre help (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=310786)

boston boy Oct 12th, 2020 09:03

S60 Tyre help

Hi, i have recently bought a 2016 S60 D4 R design. I am due to replace the tyres (235/40ZR/R18) this month and would appreciate any advice you could give me please ref what tyres to fit next. I drive approximately 20k miles per year and the majority is in the north of England thus having to deal with winter roads/conditions and really need a good tyre to cope with all seasons. On my previous car i fitted rain sports which were great in wet conditions but not good in winter.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Boston Boy.

Lonsdale Oct 14th, 2020 01:07

There is a poll on tyres - have a search, I love Nokians.

I'd never heard of them but they are premium tyre (from Finland?)

Check their ratings on Tyre Leader

HTH

Lonsdale

S60RDesign Oct 14th, 2020 13:59

I've ran mine on Michelin Pilot Sport 4 and Michelin Cross Climate + - for most of the year the Pilot Sports are streets ahead for handling and response, the Cross Climates are poor if you like to drive sportily, you can feel the sidewalls flex and you can't lean on the tyres as much. The PS4s were pretty good in the 2018 snow, not had the opportunity to try the Cross Climates in those conditions yet. If I remember the Cross Climates were the only all season tyre that matched the speed and load rating of the car (as of last December) but the Continental all season tyres are meant to be better in winter conditions.

V8XCV Oct 14th, 2020 16:00

For doing that number of miles you could employ the strategy I use on one of our cars, I fit a set of Goodyear Vector 2 Seaons Asy 2 in the autumn, then they are nice and grippy all over winter and then run them down in the summer and replace them with a new set in the autumn. I find that after about 14k miles you are down to 5mm which is too low for winter but still fine for summer and I would guess that after about 20k you would be down to 4mm and ready to change again next autumn

boston boy Oct 14th, 2020 20:23

Thanks for the advice

Just a quick note to say thanks for the advice, really appreciated, need to get sorted soon before the weather hits North Yorkshire.

NickMV70 Oct 14th, 2020 21:13

Hi, I’m a tyre geek. Until this year I have always had dedicated summer and Winter Tyres. I now have Michelin Crossclimates and love them. I live in a remote village in North York’s and feel these tires are perfectly suited to the road conditions we have. I have a 2017 v60 redesign with the same size as you and would highly recommend you look at the crossclimates

AndyV7o Oct 15th, 2020 07:36

If you want ONE tyre that isn't dodgy in the winter, you want all season.
It does depend on your driving type and area.
This is very concise and may help you narrow it down https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Articl...-Tyre-Test.htm
I have used crossclimate, they are very good and not as bad for sporty driving as suggested unless you are really hammering it. As you were happy with Uniroyal which are the worst for handling (but excellent wet grip/braking) I doubt you'd be disappointed. Im currently using Vredestein Quatrac 5 which are the sportiest all season tyre, and they are good. Thats my experiences for consideration, but watch the vid, Jon is very thorough and considers aspects often missing from tyre tests.

Adrian888 Oct 15th, 2020 07:44

I have used Kleber Quadraxer in the past on 2 different cars and found them an excellent tyre with very low wear rate and low road noise too.

boston boy Oct 16th, 2020 19:46

Thanks again

Thanks again for all of your feedback, really appreciated. I will update the post once sorted.

S60RDesign Oct 18th, 2020 00:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyV7o (Post 2673259)
I have used crossclimate, they are very good and not as bad for sporty driving as suggested unless you are really hammering it.

They don’t do it for me at all but I’m a keen driver and don’t hang around. They are very comfortable though and would probably suit most people, but not if you like to tackle winding B roads