Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   2011 S60 2.0D starting issues (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=302098)

NiPaul Jan 4th, 2020 12:08

2011 S60 2.0D starting issues

Hi, having a problem with intermittent failure to start. All started when the battery died on the ferry. Got jump started and then proceeded on my way. Couple of hundred mile trip and all was well. This week the car failed to start and with the attempted starts battery died. Replaced battery and car wouldn't start. Cranked over OK and after a few lock unlocks of car it fired up. Yesterday on another 60 mile trip, stopped at a shop, came out failed to start again. Tried lock unlock doors and it fired up again OK. No warnings on dash, car runs great. What is causing this?

Clan Jan 4th, 2020 13:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by NiPaul (Post 2586038)
Hi, having a problem with intermittent failure to start. All started when the battery died on the ferry. Got jump started and then proceeded on my way. Couple of hundred mile trip and all was well. This week the car failed to start and with the attempted starts battery died. Replaced battery and car wouldn't start. Cranked over OK and after a few lock unlocks of car it fired up. Yesterday on another 60 mile trip, stopped at a shop, came out failed to start again. Tried lock unlock doors and it fired up again OK. No warnings on dash, car runs great. What is causing this?

more than likely the plastic throttle plate is sticking shut where the air goes into the engine

NiPaul Jan 4th, 2020 14:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2586055)
more than likely the plastic throttle plate is sticking shut where the air goes into the engine

Is this an easy fix? And where would I find this?

Clan Jan 4th, 2020 20:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by NiPaul (Post 2586082)
Is this an easy fix? And where would I find this?

where the main big air inlet hose goes onto the engine , the black plastic housing in between the pipe and manifold is the throttle body , take it off and press the flap closed against the spring , any tendency to stick then file around the disc lightly until it doesn't stick or you can just see daylight around the edge when held up to the light ..

NiPaul Jan 4th, 2020 22:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2586187)
where the main big air inlet hose goes onto the engine , the black plastic housing in between the pipe and manifold is the throttle body , take it off and press the flap closed against the spring , any tendency to stick then file around the disc lightly until it doesn't stick or you can just see daylight around the edge when held up to the light ..

Thanks for that

NiPaul Jan 7th, 2020 12:26

Just an update. Partner decided to change battery in key fob and so far no more starting issues. £5 fix. Could we be so lucky?

Spike56 Jan 7th, 2020 14:25

Welcome to Volvo life!

NiPaul Jan 14th, 2020 12:54

Lasted a week and now it's back to randomly not starting.....so the key fob battery obviously is not the answer.

NiPaul Feb 22nd, 2020 18:26

Update. Took the car to local garage and turned out to be fuel pump and wiring harness failure. Fixed and now car starts no problem.
However now got soot filter full message and engine system service required messages.
Am I just unlucky or is there a connection between the two incidents?

Clan Feb 22nd, 2020 19:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by NiPaul (Post 2602897)
Update. Took the car to local garage and turned out to be fuel pump and wiring harness failure. Fixed and now car starts no problem.
However now got soot filter full message and engine system service required messages.
Am I just unlucky or is there a connection between the two incidents?

The fault you had stopped the particle filter from regenerating , whilst you continued to drive the car the particle filter got more and more full .
You can get away with it with that message if you go for a long drive at 60 mph .. It will regenerate and clear the particle filter out if everything else is working properly . If you don't do that it will come up with " Engine System Service Required and go into reduced power mode , the garage will have to force it to regenerate then .