Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Diesel Engines (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   D5 (2005 on) 2006 D5 engine cover vibration (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=85784)

AndyTucker Dec 14th, 2009 14:03

2006 D5 engine cover vibration

My 2006 S60 has recently developed a noisy idle, which I've traced to the top engine cover.

At idle, it vibrates excessively, and the noise disappears if I push lightly down on it. I've tried removing/refitting the cover several times, with no apparent improvement.

Is this a fairly common issue, and is there any way to fix it apart from buying a new cover?

csd_19 Dec 14th, 2009 17:24

I had this too, took the car into the dealer for them to have a fiddle with it during a service and it returned.... with the rearmost mounting sections COVERED in some black silicon type stuff :nah:

This stopped the rattle for at least, oooh, 2, maybe 3 days before it returned after the gunk went all soft with the engine heat.

I'll have a nosy at it over xmas methinks!

cortinaterje Dec 14th, 2009 17:36

Are you absolutely sure it's not your dynamopulley?

Clan Dec 14th, 2009 19:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by csd_19 (Post 598322)
I had this too, took the car into the dealer for them to have a fiddle with it during a service and it returned.... with the rearmost mounting sections COVERED in some black silicon type stuff :nah:

This stopped the rattle for at least, oooh, 2, maybe 3 days before it returned after the gunk went all soft with the engine heat.

I'll have a nosy at it over xmas methinks!

what a bodge , dont they read their bulletins?
They should be using felt tape in the same place not gunge ...

csd_19 Dec 14th, 2009 23:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 598394)
what a bodge , dont they read their bulletins?
They should be using felt tape in the same place not gunge ...

Would you be surprised if I told it was Arnold Sharks?? lol :nah:

Matt B Jan 22nd, 2010 20:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by cortinaterje (Post 598327)
Are you absolutely sure it's not your dynamopulley?

Whats this?

cortinaterje Feb 18th, 2010 18:23

The alternator clutch - located in the alternator pulley.

junior 7178 Mar 31st, 2018 18:48

I'm having the same problem as this with my grey plastic engine cover.

Any suggestions for things i can try at home to try and fix it without having to take it to the garage?

Clan Mar 31st, 2018 20:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by junior 7178 (Post 2387204)
I'm having the same problem as this with my grey plastic engine cover.

Any suggestions for things i can try at home to try and fix it without having to take it to the garage?

yes , clean off and stick some felt tape to the face where the edge hooks under above the exhaust to fill the gap ...

Kev0607 Sep 8th, 2019 20:18

Sorry to bump an old thread, but it saves posting another on the same subject. I'm having the same issue on my S80 & my Dad's V70. The bushes underneath the grey engine covers are perished & they are rattling around on idle. I've rang Volvo & they want £25 for a set of new bushes, so it'll cost £50 for a few pieces of rubber!

So I need to take the engine covers off, give them a good clean where the tape will be sticking & then apply the tape? Presumably, the cover will need some tape all around to keep it stable/secure? Will this tape actually last though, taking into consideration how hot the engine bay gets?