Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Trigger the 940lpt (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=292660)

griston64 Mar 10th, 2019 09:12

Trigger the 940lpt

1 Attachment(s)
Poor old Trigger got left in the street as I drove the V70 down South yesterday.
She looks pretty cold and miserable:Not_Impressed:

Not a day to be working outside

Attachment 118954

Think I'll be cleaning and feeding the leather interior I picked up yesterday and then get all the suspension parts ready for shotblasting:teeth_smile:

Forrest Mar 10th, 2019 12:21

For those conditions it’s got to be the 940. Fit winter tyres and it will get you anywhere.

griston64 Mar 10th, 2019 12:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forrest (Post 2502831)
For those conditions it’s got to be the 940. Fit winter tyres and it will get you anywhere.

I have Goodyear Vector all season on and they seem to fine in the snow so far

When I get my new refurbished wheels back I may put full winters on the Adhara's and use them as winter wheels

Laird Scooby Mar 10th, 2019 12:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by griston64 (Post 2502786)

Think I'll get all the suspension parts ready for shotblasting:teeth_smile:

Hmmmm, do you have an old fashioned battery charger Mark or one of these new fangled allegedly "smart" chargers?

If you've got an old fashioned one, a few tubs big enough to submerse the various suspension parts, you can electrolytically derust and clean them for almost nothing. It's also non-agressive so won't blast holes in things that are getting thin, in fact it will deposit fresh steel onto it making it stronger.

Gather the tub, parts, battery charger, enough hot water to submerse the part(s) and some soda crystals/washing soda and some old bits of scrap steel. Some wire of some description might be useful too.

Connect a piece of wire to a piece of scrap steel - ideally this needs to be a similar total area to the part - bigger is fine, smaller is ok but not so good. Use the wire to suspend the sacrificial anode (piece of scrap steel) on one side of the tub and connect the +ve croc clip from the battery charger to it.
Take another piece of wire and connect it to the part and suspend it fairly centrally, or if it's to one side, be prepared to turn it halfway through.
Connect the batery charger -ve croc clip to this wire. Add a generous handful of soda crystals to the tub and fill with enough hot water to submerse the part, now switch the battery charger on.

It should show some current draw - leave it overnight and prepare to be amazed the next morning! All the rust should be gone, if you've had it to one side of the tub, you may need to turn it round so the other side gets "cooked" too. Rinse off with the garden hose when it's out and then put it in the oven at about 70-80C for about an hour to dry it and degas it.

Then paint your parts that are once again like new.

Worth noting this won't work on aluminium, just steel but i've saved many components this way over the years.

It won't harm any existing plating on the part such as chrome plate but will remove paint.

You're probably ahead of me at this point, don't let the parts touch inside the tub as they will short out the battery charger, you can move them closer together to speed the reaction up but obviously go careful!

griston64 Mar 10th, 2019 13:01

1 Attachment(s)
I'm worried this might happen !!

Attachment 118960

Seriously though I'm going to see what results i get with the wire brush attachment on the angle grinder first

griston64 Mar 10th, 2019 13:45

mmmm leather

1 Attachment(s)
Cleaned and fed the small rear bolster this morning :teeth_smile: Came up really well and the Gliptone has a lovely smell of leather

Attachment 118964

So much easier to do when not in the car as well :teeth_smile:

griston64 Mar 10th, 2019 13:51

1 Attachment(s)
Parts are in pretty good nick Dave. I think the wire brush might do the job ok.

Attachment 118965

I'm getting new ball joints and droplinks so be nice to get it all looking like new:regular_smile:

griston64 Mar 10th, 2019 14:51

1 Attachment(s)
10 mins with the angle grinder and wire brush produced this :teeth_smile::teeth_smile:

Attachment 118966

I think I can get the parts back to new with wire brush. I will then paint with POR15

griston64 Mar 10th, 2019 16:07

2 Attachment(s)
I managed to get the nut off and then remove the spaceship bushes. Funny but they look well shot from the outside but still not that much play.

They were pretty well welded in and left a lot of crap in the control arm. All cleaned up now but the wire brush attachment has about 3 strands left on it :shocked::shocked:

It will be keeping me busy for the rest of the week :teeth_smile::teeth_smile:

Attachment 118972

Attachment 118973

griston64 May 15th, 2019 21:11

Nearly ready

2 Attachment(s)
My control arms and strut rods are just about there cleanliness wise and the next step will be to paint them

I'm thinking etch primer followed by Eastwood high gloss extreme chassis black

I was going to use POR15 but that binds better to rough surfaces with slight rust so not the best now they are super clean

Attachment 120365

Attachment 120366

Arb to do next which should be fairly easy

Once that is done and I get my new ball joints,track rod ends etc the suspension re-build can begin

I'm going pretty standard with Bilstein B4 all round but possibly a slight lowering although I'm not 100% sure on that yet

Getting there !