Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   How cold is too cold for heated windscreen wash nozzles (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=275970)

spudmaster Dec 12th, 2017 22:08

How cold is too cold for heated windscreen wash nozzles

I have the Winter Pack on my recently acquired V90CC. Heated screen and steering wheel have been much appreciated these last few days. Washer jets have also remained 'fluid' throughout.... until this morning.

Headed out c. 8am, with temp reading as -7, and wasn't able to release any washer fluid as frozen solid. In fairness, it was pretty damned cold here last night- I live c.3 miles from where the -13 temperature was recorded.

Once I arrived at my destination, I made sure I parked up facing into the sun. When I left 3 hours later, all was well (outside temp had risen to +1).

So- question is whether there is a limit to how effective this facility is? Whilst last night was pretty extreme for the UK, just conscious that -13 is probably considered fairly mild in Sweden!

Anybody else had a problem at all?

green van man Dec 12th, 2017 22:17

No problems on the Volvo or landrover running Volvo washer fluid, neither have heated nozzels. Works van did freeze using halfords -5 ready mixed fluid.

Think a 50/50 mix gives protection down to -25 with the Volvo fluid.

Heated nozzels must help if they are working but appropriate striegnth washer fluid should do the job also.

Paul.

Clan Dec 12th, 2017 23:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by spudmaster (Post 2347122)
I have the Winter Pack on my recently acquired V90CC. Heated screen and steering wheel have been much appreciated these last few days. Washer jets have also remained 'fluid' throughout.... until this morning.

Headed out c. 8am, with temp reading as -7, and wasn't able to release any washer fluid as frozen solid. In fairness, it was pretty damned cold here last night- I live c.3 miles from where the -13 temperature was recorded.

Once I arrived at my destination, I made sure I parked up facing into the sun. When I left 3 hours later, all was well (outside temp had risen to +1).

So- question is whether there is a limit to how effective this facility is? Whilst last night was pretty extreme for the UK, just conscious that -13 is probably considered fairly mild in Sweden!

Anybody else had a problem at all?

No problems using volvo washer fluid in the correct concentration in which case you don't need heated wash jets .
In the typical 6 litre wash bottle you need 2 x 1 litre bottles of wash fluid to protect to -18C which you need at this time of year , you can manage with just One 1 litre bottle ( -7C ) after the icy weather .

What do heated jets do and why I often ask myself and how hot is the water that is sprayed out ? They won't be any good if the wash bottle / pipes / pump is frozen due to a weak solution of wash fluid .So pretty useless really .

Munro83 Dec 12th, 2017 23:09

Like green man says- it’s the fluid mixture that matters. Warm water on a freezing pane of glass is going to freeze as well never mind the fact it’s frozen in the reservoir

Ryan69 Dec 17th, 2017 19:52

I have used Holt's and now Prestones washer fluid was a taxi driver working nightshift all year for 20 year's in all temps right down to one November when the temp hit -18 and never had an issue except for frozen locks etc. it's worth paying extra for a half decent fluid none of the pre-mix is worth the money.