Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   General: V50 S40 Recall (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=25597)

Bob Oct 8th, 2006 19:56

V50 S40 Recall

A recall of the V50 and S40 range MY2004 on has appeared in the USA, though I have not seen it yet in the UK. This affects the handbrake not holding the car - 'poor tensioning'.

If you are unsure about the efficiency of your handbrake then contact your Volvo dealer.

Bob

Marmoset Oct 9th, 2006 11:39

It's been issued over here as well - had mine done a few months back, the dealer wrote to me to arrange the mods.

bircham Oct 21st, 2006 09:26

My wife's V50 was recalled a few months ago as well.

mark2jag Nov 30th, 2006 15:26

Handbrake.....?

Recall for Handbrake, err sorry dont think so.!! What they actually is do is put a sticker in your handbook and give you a little booklet, Thats all that Kings Winchester did for my S40 1.6 SE (Diesel). Were they supposed to do more than that??? (they treat their customers like sh*t anyway, so theres no surprise there) This is not being nasty but is a statement of FACT, , as can be judged from previous articles concerning shoddy treatment of myself ,so please dont ban this article,lol.:speechless-smiley-2 :Banane59:

mnicholl Nov 30th, 2006 23:21

I was given this booklet with regards to the handbrake failure in June (I think it was), but I would like to know if they would have provided me the information if the car was not in getting a fault repaired.

I have contacted Volvo customer services with regards to the treatment that I have had since I purchased a new Volvo S40.

I hope they certainly give me the customer care they promised prior to signing the contract, or web pages can be designed very easily.

nicmeljones Dec 17th, 2006 11:24

S40 Handbrake

My wife's S40 D5SE was recalled a few weeks ago and the handbrake was definitely better when it was returned by Kings of Salisbury. The handbook was also updated.

In May 2005 the handbrake slipped when the car was parked in the drive, demolishing the garage door in the process. Volvo have now refunded the £450.00 repair bill as well!

webbie Jan 6th, 2007 12:12

service bulletin here

http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Volvo/115...159/index.html

bsrT5 Jan 29th, 2007 16:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by webbie (Post 188565)

I own a 2006 S40T5, I vave checked and my car dosent have the numbers reported of chassis, my car is number 685162-193313. One month ago I parked the car and when I came back the car was crashed in garage door, handbrake failure I assume. The dealership never contacted me about this problem. Now I see this thread I understand. In the future where can I see volvo recalls for my car? Also where can I ask if my car is not recalled because I experienced the same problem? Thanks

T5R+ Feb 3rd, 2007 12:31

Folks - it seems some folks are having more than handbrake issues.

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=28349

AllanG Feb 21st, 2007 08:35

Volvo V50 Recall

Not sure if it is what you term a recall but my Volvo dealer sent me a letter this week to bring my V50 in for a field upgrade. Volvo had identified 3 possible problems with:

1. Climate control noises ( I've been having that problem)
2. Insufficient battery power to start the car
3. Spurious messages on the Information centre.

Applies not just to the V50 but a couple of other models as well but I don't have the letter with me. Sofware upgrade takes up to 1 hour I am told.

pigapumbu Feb 21st, 2007 12:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllanG (Post 208562)
Not sure if it is what you term a recall but my Volvo dealer sent me a letter this week to bring my V50 in for a field upgrade. Volvo had identified 3 possible problems with:

1. Climate control noises ( I've been having that problem)
2. Insufficient battery power to start the car
3. Spurious messages on the Information centre.

Applies not just to the V50 but a couple of other models as well but I don't have the letter with me. Sofware upgrade takes up to 1 hour I am told.

Can someone tell me if Microsoft helped Volvo develope the software that goes in our cars? This is becoming more and more like Windows software upgrade. :angry2:

Paddler Ed Feb 21st, 2007 12:19

With regards to loose handbrakes, I had a couple of early V50's (was going to get a run out V40 but couldn't get it so had a V50) and most of them went in to have the handbrake sorted; all of them would pull off with the handbrake on (oops) and as I was towing with some of them it wasn't particularily reassuring.

One of the reasons that this has taken a while for it to appear as a problem, and for it to be dealt with, is that most people in the UK do not leave the car in gear; in Europe that is a common practice so as a problem it occurs less often.

macklij Apr 12th, 2007 21:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paddler Ed (Post 208638)
With regards to loose handbrakes, I had a couple of early V50's (was going to get a run out V40 but couldn't get it so had a V50) and most of them went in to have the handbrake sorted; all of them would pull off with the handbrake on (oops) and as I was towing with some of them it wasn't particularily reassuring.

I don't mean to sound heartless, but I'm almost relieved others have had handbrake problems. My last v50 (05 year) had handbrake troubles. The garage (Parkside Orpington) were useless. I took it in three times and they persistently told me there was nothing wrong - that it was me. The handbrake was pulling up 12 notches on a slope and still not reliable! It was only fixed when I threatened to take it somewhere else.

ezrah Aug 13th, 2007 12:09

I to had a call back on my S40 T5 2004.5 plate, it was for the handbreak and also the fuel line.

Ezrah

big_yin Feb 3rd, 2008 12:18

I read in a Dutch newsgroup that Volvo is going to recall 82000 Volvo S40's and V50's built between 2004 and 2006 for problems with the electronics on the fuel pump.

Haven't seen it anywhere else though but thought I better post it just in case.

ady30 Feb 3rd, 2008 20:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2jag (Post 174719)
Recall for Handbrake, err sorry dont think so.!! What they actually is do is put a sticker in your handbook and give you a little booklet, Thats all that Kings Winchester did for my S40 1.6 SE (Diesel). Were they supposed to do more than that??? (they treat their customers like sh*t anyway, so theres no surprise there) This is not being nasty but is a statement of FACT, , as can be judged from previous articles concerning shoddy treatment of myself ,so please dont ban this article,lol.:speechless-smiley-2 :Banane59:

M.R.G Chippenham fitted all new parts and gave me handbook

nano Feb 4th, 2008 16:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by big_yin (Post 362717)
I read in a Dutch newsgroup that Volvo is going to recall 82000 Volvo S40's and V50's built between 2004 and 2006 for problems with the electronics on the fuel pump.

There are some details here.

mjcourtney Feb 6th, 2008 16:29

interesting! I had the fuel pump replaced under warranty on my 2004 S40 after that got an intermittent 'glitch'. The garage said there had been known faults with them, but as far as I know they didn't mention a recall. (mind you, as the article says, it is mainly 5 cylinder models, and mine is a 4cyl 1.8 petrol).

kirium Jan 16th, 2009 17:17

Hi, I have had a recall for my V50, its not listed here so I thought i would share the knowlege :)

Model: Volvo V50 2.0D R Design Sport SE

Recall: R88075/263778 - MATS

Spoke to a tech who informed its a replacement drivers floormat, the mat has been modified to stop the possibility of fouling the accelerator pedal.

giggsirish Feb 9th, 2009 14:04

Hi kirium,

I have a 08 S40 with the R-Design pack. The floor mat started blocking the return of both the clutch and acc some time ago so I threw it out. No recall for S40 R Design owners but its a very real problem.

Paudman Aug 31st, 2009 16:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by big_yin (Post 362717)

Had to replace mine last week, £160 and THAT was a second-hand unit from a scrapyard.
This was after the dealer told me it was the ignition switch and sold me one for £104.50 with fitting costs after that again, total £160. Needless to say, the switch didn't cure it so a pump was required.
I'm starting to think that NEVER again will I buy Volvo.

supguk Jul 8th, 2010 10:52

handbrake failure

Whilst failure of a handbrake is inexcusable of volvo, why do none of you leave your car in gear when parked?? That way if your handbrake does fail it shouldn't go very far!!!

collangm Aug 27th, 2010 10:44

Volvo Recall Status

For those of you worried about or in the dark over what is currently classified as a recall on this, or any vehicle for that matter, visit the VOSA website. This site details ALL current recalls for ALL vehicles. Below is a link to the specific recall notices for the Volvo V50 dating from 2004 onwards;

<<http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/searches/search.asp?cboStartMonth=1&cboStartYear=1980&cboEn dMonth=1&cboEndYear=2010&cboMake=VOLVO%20CAR&cboMo del=V50&cboSortOrder=rec_launch_date&cboAscDesc=AS C&PageSize=10&tx=&Search=Search>>

I hope this helps...

Gary

foxhole Oct 4th, 2010 23:24

Anyone understand the Vosa info, my 54 s40 has a Vin beginning with YV1VS but nothing listed as a recall shows this vin though most of the vin numbers shown are numbers only no letters?
No sign of a hand brake recall there either? my MOT warned of little travel left on the handbrake , might it be affected.:stormy:

N2STY Oct 6th, 2010 18:04

You use the last 6 digits of your vin not the 1st
HERE IS SOME MORE VIN INFO

S40 Daz Dec 31st, 2010 11:18

Hi guys, I have just bought a 2006 S40 2.0 D sport and the hand brake was quite poor so I had to have a look at the brakes and found that all the discs and pads had been replaced (I think with poor quality parts !!!), so I was looking for the hand brake adjustment and found that its a poor set up.
Found the adjuster at the hand brake lever, lifted the back wheels and tightend the adjustment till the wheels started to bind and then backed it off till free running.
I think it all works better when the discs and pads are new and the caliper is fully retracted for better results.

gecko101 Apr 7th, 2011 08:49

Recall 2011 models

2011 C30, S40 and V50. The recall relates to potential stress cracks in the right side support member in the engine bay.

Does anyone know what this means, as in possible repairs to the vehicle. This sounds like it could be quite serious.

t5_monkey Apr 7th, 2011 09:28

always leave mine in gear... once you get in the habit it's easy to do.

Daim Apr 10th, 2011 16:55

Anybody here heard of a current/actuall recall for the 1.8 and 2.0l petrols?

My dealership informed me, that there is an issue with my radiator fan/cooler and that it needs to be checked...

I must say at the same time: I've NEVER heard it run yet!? Even when standing in a traffic jam etc.!?

Clan Apr 10th, 2011 17:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daim (Post 882483)
Anybody here heard of a current/actuall recall for the 1.8 and 2.0l petrols?

My dealership informed me, that there is an issue with my radiator fan/cooler and that it needs to be checked...

I must say at the same time: I've NEVER heard it run yet!? Even when standing in a traffic jam etc.!?

this is a catch up recall it was issued about 3 years ago , yours may have got missed somehow so they are chasing up ones which have not yet been done .

Daim Apr 10th, 2011 17:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 882489)
this is a catch up recall it was issued about 3 years ago , yours may have got missed somehow so they are chasing up ones which have not yet been done .

I thought that too, but my dealer said it was a different one...!?

Ian21401 Sep 10th, 2011 21:52

Handbrake failure.

My daughter has an 07 V50 D5 automatic. No problems with the handbrake yet.(Famous last words) but, with an automatic and the selector in "park" is the transmission not locked anyway ? I've always owned manuals and was taught a very very long time ago,(I'm a bit old) to always leave the car in a gear the opposite to which it is likely to roll, i.e.pointing downhill, then leave it in reverse and if it's a really severe hill then turn the wheels so that if by some chance it still rolled away it would be against the kerb, assuming that there is a kerb of course.

v40bart Sep 21st, 2011 11:47

My local dealer (doves of Croydon) just invited me for a safety recall concerning a clutch master cylinder. Turns out it was outstanding on my car. It's good to call them time to time...

Pilsbury Oct 4th, 2011 19:38

I have just had the same recall on my car however I have been quoted 3 days to do the fix. Whats wrong with the car???? Anyone have any details?

Clan Oct 4th, 2011 19:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pilsbury (Post 997908)
I have just had the same recall on my car however I have been quoted 3 days to do the fix. Whats wrong with the car???? Anyone have any details?

It takes 2 hours what are they talking about ...

v40bart Oct 5th, 2011 09:17

The recall addresses a design fault within the clutch master cylinder, where a plastic pushrod is used and it may snap with use. The two to three hour job consists of replacing the master with an updated version that uses a metal pushrod. I need to do mine, I don't fancy loosing the clutch somewhere far from home.

Pilsbury Oct 10th, 2011 21:52

Picked up today by SQUIRE FURNEAUX in Leatherhead.

Been told it wont be back until Wednesday. Given me a crappy 1.6 drivE S60. Hardly a match on the D5 S40. Nevermind.

I have also flagged up some other issues with it namely drive splines, chirping suspension and a broken headlight connector that was broken by them on the service. But even that cant be 3 days work. No??

v40bart Oct 11th, 2011 13:50

You are being punished for causing trouble...

Volubilis Nov 2nd, 2011 20:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pilsbury (Post 997908)

If a Tech takes 3 days to carry out that recall, he needs a bit of training !

benr7310 Nov 23rd, 2011 19:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volubilis (Post 1017035)
If a Tech takes 3 days to carry out that recall, he needs a bit of training !

or the sack..