Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   V50 anti skid and engine issue at same time (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=291561)

Shintymad Feb 8th, 2019 07:15

V50 anti skid and engine issue at same time

Hi all,
I’ve had my v50 1.6 diesel for a year and it’s never missed a beat.
Yesterday the messages Anti-skid system service required and engine service required, came up at the same time.
The car went into limp home mode and is running as if on three cylinders.
The engine management light and the anti skid light are both Amber.
Any suggestions would be greatly apprenticed before I have to take to the stealers.
Cheers
Roger

IainG Feb 8th, 2019 07:22

Hi
Possibly worth getting the alternator/ battery checked first. V50' s are prone to various fault codes with low or fluctuating battery voltages.
If not will need your codes read.

Iain

PaddyB Feb 9th, 2019 01:42

I had the motherlode of errors: anti skid disabled, air bags disabled, engine service required, limp home mode, ABS disabled, the lot. Then the battery died (due to a short in the alternator).

1 new alternator later - everything is OK (except maybe the battery which was deeply discharged - but it's holding up for now).

As Ian said - check the alternator & battery.

Shintymad Feb 9th, 2019 18:12

Hi, I’ve been have a look at the car today, and borrowed a snap on ethos code reader.
The alternator is giving out 14.9 volts. Is that a bit on the high side. I’ve not had any battery issues.
One injector is defiantly knackered, I moved it from cylinder 3 to 4 and the code reader has changed to show that. No difference in engine running when injector is disconeccted
Will a dodgy injector trip the car into limp home mode.

The anti lock brakes code of U040100 says invalid data received from engine control module what does that mean and will this trip the limp home mode.

As both these faults appeared at the exact same time while driving, could one fault be causing the other codes to pop up.
Thanks

spokoluzik Feb 9th, 2019 18:53

Change your injector and both messages will be gone.

Daveyb2008 Mar 9th, 2019 02:11

Mine was showing anti skid need service but my searing wheel was off got it balance sort of found out track rod was bent but the anti skid msg went off after the garage sort of straighing my tires had track rod sorted ain't came on since

b4mky Jun 23rd, 2021 15:37

Did you manage to sort it, I have the same problem, Thank you, Ray

Gengis24 Jun 24th, 2021 08:33

mine did the same, same message , change the injector , but needed to go to volvo for them to download latest software , and do a adaption on the injector , now running sweet

iainmd Jun 24th, 2021 09:18

Mine showed Anti-Skid Service when the EGR valve gave up. Shortly after getting anti-skid service the engine management light came on and the engine went into limp mode (wouldn't rev over 3000 RPM and turbo disabled). Code scanner pointed to EGR issues so I replaced it. Properly random that you get anti-skid errors relating to that.

moorgate Jul 8th, 2021 13:21

I just had something like this - anti-skid, engine fault, brake failure warning all together, then the check engine symbol lights up and I'm in restricted performance,which slowly got revoked, bit by bit, as I drove along! Had something similar a couple of years ago, which resolved by me carefully going inside the fuel station shop (in Belgium...), comiung out and starting the car.

I had quite a bit of slack time on this car over the lockdown period: I just changed the battery for an ancient but volvo branded one I'd removed from my equally ancient V70D5. Deep, deep charge session had the T5 starting on about half a twist of the flywheel!

Bit puzzled, since I went about 100 miles before the multi-error came up: I guess a completely charged very high current battery might cover up an alternator fault for that long. Going to suck some codes out a bit later but in the meantime, should I just get an alternator? Are there refurb swapper alternators?