Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   V60 - D2, D3 or D4? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=174170)

sirc67 Feb 25th, 2013 20:37

V60 - D2, D3 or D4?

I have noticed that the 2013 tax and mpg listings for the D2, D3 and D4 are the same across the board. I was looking to go for for the D2 1.6 litre engine but as I found this car to be a little under-powered for the amount of commuting I do, it would be good to know the true mpg for the 2.0 litre variants?

Now that the D2, D3 and D4 cost the same in tax, what is the "real" mpg for these cars? If the true mpg is the same for all variants, surely it is a no brainer, go for the D4?

It would be great to hear comments from members in the know. Thanks.

Crockers Feb 25th, 2013 22:09

Just go for the D5 and enjoy yourself. Life is too damn short. :D

craigv60 Feb 25th, 2013 22:12

I've been running a V60 163bhp D3 manual (which would now be badged as the D4) for 24,000 miles in 21 months.

You can see my ownership impressions here: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=174072.

The car has averaged a genuine 46.9mpg in my ownership (i.e. measured at the pump, not on the computer). My driving is about 35% motorway / open road, 65% urban journeys of under 10 miles. I like to use the performance, and there is quite a lot of it to use :)

sirc67 Feb 26th, 2013 09:27

It has to be a D4 then?

It will be a company car and 2.0 litre max allowed on scheme. It is looking like a D4 then? Thanks guys.

Any further feedback from members would be greatly appreciated. I will be placing my order next couple of days. I was tempted to go for a BMW 3 series Efficient Dynamics due to proven economy + performance but put off by saloon-only/lack practicality, lack of comfort v V60 plus cost of extras. For me the V60 has it all and it is just down to diesel engine choice.

Harvey1512 Feb 26th, 2013 10:26

I have done 10,000 miles in 6 months in my D2 equivalent, it was called a DRIVe model when I picked it up. I am averaging 48-50mpg overall. On motorway journeys with just me in the car I manage 58mpg, with a full car it is 50-52mpg. My day to day journeys are mainly country lanes. The above are real figures not the computer.

When I ordered mine there was a marked difference between the emissions and mpg of the engine choices. Now they all seem to be the same, explanation anyone who is technical? Anyway, in your shoes I would go for the D4. I don't see the point of the D2 engine anymore if the figures from Volvo are to be believed. Even the pricing is close enough for it not to be a major issue. Let us know which one you choose.

Ninja59 Feb 26th, 2013 16:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harvey1512 (Post 1362282)
I have done 10,000 miles in 6 months in my D2 equivalent, it was called a DRIVe model when I picked it up. I am averaging 48-50mpg overall. On motorway journeys with just me in the car I manage 58mpg, with a full car it is 50-52mpg. My day to day journeys are mainly country lanes. The above are real figures not the computer.

When I ordered mine there was a marked difference between the emissions and mpg of the engine choices. Now they all seem to be the same, explanation anyone who is technical? Anyway, in your shoes I would go for the D4. I don't see the point of the D2 engine anymore if the figures from Volvo are to be believed. Even the pricing is close enough for it not to be a major issue. Let us know which one you choose.

this will change for MY2014 though the D2 emissions will fall further than the rest bringing it down to around 110. ;)

MY2013 yes they are all the same even the D5 is only 1g/km above the rest of the engine range.

Harvey1512 Feb 26th, 2013 17:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninja59 (Post 1362489)
this will change for MY2014 though the D2 emissions will fall further than the rest bringing it down to around 110. ;)

MY2013 yes they are all the same even the D5 is only 1g/km above the rest of the engine range.

You are quite correct but the difference in BIK between the D2 and D3/D4 is then only 1% which is again so marginal as to not worth worrying about. Going back two years or so the difference was about 4-5% and that was worth noticing.

craigv60 Feb 26th, 2013 18:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirc67 (Post 1362257)
I will be placing my order next couple of days. I was tempted to go for a BMW 3 series Efficient Dynamics due to proven economy + performance but put off by saloon-only/lack practicality, lack of comfort v V60 plus cost of extras. For me the V60 has it all and it is just down to diesel engine choice.

I would look VERY closely at the 'Business Edition' spec, as it's got most of the toys (apart from satnav) and the list price is very tax friendly.

sirc67 Feb 26th, 2013 23:36

Business Edition V60 - SatNav?

Hi Craig

I have seen a couple of posts stating that the Business Edition does not come with SatNav. The brochure can be quite misleading when you look at the listings but I can reveal that this spec DOES actually come with Integrated SatNav as standard making it a no brainer for me. Many of the other specs have a version listed with and without SatNav, which makes the Business Edition look as though it does not have it but it does!

From what I have seen, this spec is £5-6K under the SE spec but comes with standard basic alloys, less chrome bits inside and out, probably a darker plastic interior (No aluminium), no chrome bits on the steering wheel but includes all the gizmos and everything I need. Looks like a steal to me and I cannot understand why folks at my workplace go for a German badge, nil extras and less comfort. Shame I have to wait until August for my new D4 :(

craigv60 Feb 27th, 2013 08:43

Do you have to wait because of the order time for the car, or is that when your current arrangement ends?

I only have 3 niggles with my V60 -- 1) no clutch footrest 2) the radio controls are not well thought-out and 3) the Business Edition wasn't available when I got mine :) it would have saved me loads of BIK tax!