Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S40 / V40 '96-'04 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   40 Series recalls (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=8892)

Bob Feb 1st, 2004 15:04

40 Series recalls

All S40 and V40 series cars that are Model Year 2003/4 are being recalled. This only affects the petrol engine versions, as there is a *possible* fuel leak issue. Owners are being contacted by thier Volvo dealers to have the cars checked. If you have not yet been informed then contact your dealer.

Note: There is no safety issue with this.

Bob Isaac
Forum Admin
robert.isaac@volvoclub.org.uk

joe90 Feb 4th, 2004 05:08

RE: 40 Series recalls

I don't know whether or not this is the same problem.

A few weeks before Christmas whilst picking my daughter up, I began to smell fuel, as I was only half a mile from home (foolishly) I decided to continue. I made it home, parked on he drive, left the engine running and lifted the bonnet. I was imediately covered in a fine sparay of atomised fuel. I quickly switched the engine off. On closer inspection I found the the end of the high pressure fuel rail (2.0T) had blown off. The engine compartment was awash with neat fuel. I count myself as extremely lucky that it had not founds its way to the turbo !!!

If it is the same problem then how can Volvo say it is NOT a safety issue ?

joe90 Feb 6th, 2004 02:31

I received the Volvo recall notification today and YES, it is the same problem that I experienced before Christmas.

What is really disturbing though, is that the notification states that Volvo are not aware of any instances where this problem has become an issue. As my vehicle was off the road for a number of days and Volvo picked-up the hire car costs under warranty. I am amazed that they can make such claims.

I would advise anyone with an affected vehicle to take it immediately to your dealer and have it checked.

joe90 Feb 12th, 2004 02:27

Further Update

The wording of there recall campaign letter and press relseases make it sound like a dripping tap. When in fact, failure of the drain valve on the end of the fuel rail results in atomised fuel being sprayed around the engine compartment under high pressure.

After writing to Volvo Customer Services, I received a telephone call from them. Apparantly because no vehicles have actually caught fire (yet) They can "honestly claim that no incidents have occured" her words, not mine!

mdjohnst May 31st, 2004 13:27

Hi

Is this all petrol models or just a selected range.?

Thanks

Matt

webbie Aug 2nd, 2004 20:15

my 2003 V40 2.0 T was affected by this, but I checked today and it had already been recalled and rectified before I purchsed it.

Jimny33 Apr 21st, 2005 18:41

Is it all the petrol cars then or just the turbos?

Multiplex Aug 26th, 2005 17:37

Any petrol engine with the plastic fuel rail could be affectes i lam lead to beleve.

Rin Feb 5th, 2006 20:35

2004 S40 BF Goodrich Tire Problem

I have 27,000 miles on my 04 S40 and since day 1 I have complained about my car pulling to the right. The steering wheel also shakes. The dealer tells me it is the tires causing the problem and that it is a known issue with BFGoodrich and S40s. and I need to take this up with BFGoodrich. I've "Googled" this with no hits....have you heard of this issue? I would like to get it resolved b4 my 30K mile warranty expires.

J2R Mar 10th, 2006 17:33

S40 Recalls

Does this affect '02 Models?