Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   XC90 II Performance Brakes/Pads (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=338992)

scottiecb19 Mar 26th, 2024 11:27

XC90 II Performance Brakes/Pads

Hi All,

I need to replace the brakes and pads on my D5 XC90 II (2018). I was hoping to replace them with some performance discs/pads, ideally drilled/groove brakes (yes, I am a boy racer stuck in a middle-aged man's body), but I'm struggling to find many options. Euro Car Parts can't assist, neither can local garages from Kwik Fit, ATS, Halfords etc. Looking online, I've found a brand called MTEC, but they don't have the greatest reviews on Trustpilot, plus I've never heard of them. I'm not out for a full brake conversion (even if Brembo did one), I'm jus trying to give myself something extra in performance as well as look. I have a garage who can fit them if I supply the parts. Any ideas anyone? Thanks for your help.

Clan Mar 26th, 2024 12:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottiecb19 (Post 2942357)
Hi All,

I need to replace the brakes and pads on my D5 XC90 II (2018). I was hoping to replace them with some performance discs/pads, ideally drilled/groove brakes (yes, I am a boy racer stuck in a middle-aged man's body), but I'm struggling to find many options. Euro Car Parts can't assist, neither can local garages from Kwik Fit, ATS, Halfords etc. Looking online, I've found a brand called MTEC, but they don't have the greatest reviews on Trustpilot, plus I've never heard of them. I'm not out for a full brake conversion (even if Brembo did one), I'm jus trying to give myself something extra in performance as well as look. I have a garage who can fit them if I supply the parts. Any ideas anyone? Thanks for your help.

You wont find anything at all to outperform the standard brakes on the public highway. perhaps a can of red paint might be the best option?

Kev0607 Mar 26th, 2024 14:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottiecb19 (Post 2942357)
Hi All,

I think you'll struggle on that front. Not to state the obvious, but its a D5 XC90 - Its not a performance car, hence why there's little performance parts available.

rhd443 Mar 26th, 2024 19:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2942360)
You wont find anything at all to outperform the standard brakes on the public highway. perhaps a can of red paint might be the best option?

This reminds me of the YouTube video that's going around comparing a Volvo braking from high speed and an Audi, the quality of the genuine discs and pads excells!!

sk546 Mar 26th, 2024 20:07

It looks like Stoptech do some drilled rotors for the XC90 II (if you are running the 345mm front disc's) but not many stockists in the UK and they are £200 each (different internal vane directions for left and right handed fitting) so far from cheap.

See below link to one of the few stockists I've found:
https://www.mlperformance.co.uk/prod...43333992317149

The other option is to look at big brake kits or fit the Akerbono calipers and rotors as fitted to the XC60 Polestar Engineered cars. Again, really not cheap but from personal experience, the Akerbono's stop amazingly!!

Murph7355 Mar 27th, 2024 14:38

Waste of time and money IMO.

If you don't have the Polestar upgrade, maybe do that first. But from experience, while these can be thrown around, there's little point as it's pleasurable for nobody 😁

Simmy Mar 27th, 2024 18:55

volvo brakes are more than capable of makeing the abs kick in. up graded brakes are not needed. any brakes are only as good as the avalable grip on the road surface.

sk546 Mar 27th, 2024 19:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simmy (Post 2942600)
volvo brakes are more than capable of makeing the abs kick in. up graded brakes are not needed. any brakes are only as good as the avalable grip on the road surface.

Upgrading of brakes is not all about gaining more power in the braking system (although usually this is a happy by-product), its mostly to do with heat management and durability after repeat heavy stops from higher speed, things only done when driving enthusiastically on demanding roads.
Yes, Volvos stock brakes work fine under normal driving circumstances (which most Volvo drivers keep to) but they dont stand up to prolonged heavy use very well.

If the OP wants to drive his car in a manner that requires better brakes and he has the funds to install better brakes, why wouldn't he do it just because in some others opinions, its not worth it?
Just because you're happy to bimble about doesn't mean thats how we all drive around, some of us like to push on when the road and conditions allow.

GrahamBrown1 Mar 27th, 2024 20:57

Looking at a police spec XC90 it looked to have pretty standard fitment brakes, they get cained, must be able to handle it ok. Unless they are upgraded but didn’t look it.

Simmy Mar 27th, 2024 22:34

on some of the earler volvos police spec pads were available aimed at keeping brakes effective due to all the extra road saftey equipment which was permenantly carried .