Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   MOT Failure Corroded fuel line (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=311670)

andyv40turbo Nov 11th, 2020 18:17

MOT Failure Corroded fuel line

Hi all,

MOT now passed with a sleeve being passed over the corroded line and clamped.

I searched this and it doesn't appear to be a common issue on the D5.

The garage where I took it filmed the pipe and it looked like a worm in that it had bubbled up around a clip near where it enters the engine.

Asking them about it they said the leak is on the low pressure line.

All sorted with the sleeve clamped around it and I hadn't noticed any poor fuel economy. Just curious to see if this is a know about issue.

Welton Nov 12th, 2020 08:11

To be honest I'm not sure the 'sleeve' over the pipe will help in the long run, if you've created a moisture trap between sleeve-and-pipe it will likely accelerate the corrosion.

Might be worth tracking down a new replacement pipe?

big yinn Nov 17th, 2020 11:41

I had a similar issue on my 2lt petrol. Since I had it I could smell petrol when stationary.
Wasn't able to find the source of it for months, until one day I was refitting the skirts and noticed one of the plastic pipe clips underneath the drivers footwell looked oily, petrol residue!
Trace the pipe to the section where is raises up from underneath the floor into the engine bay. A 5" length of pipe quitre badly corroded underneath the plastic sheath.
Not an easy place to work on, so I removed the whole pipe out through the engine bay (uncoupled from the fuel tank end), cut out the corroded section and replaced with a 6" length of fuel injection hose clamped at each end with two small jubilee clips just to be safe. No leaks and no smell of petrol since.
I still think its odd that only that section corroded, it wasn't contacting anything and the rest of the pipe was mint.

andyv40turbo Nov 17th, 2020 12:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by big yinn (Post 2682425)
I had a similar issue on my 2lt petrol. Since I had it I could smell petrol when stationary.
Wasn't able to find the source of it for months, until one day I was refitting the skirts and noticed one of the plastic pipe clips underneath the drivers footwell looked oily, petrol residue!
Trace the pipe to the section where is raises up from underneath the floor into the engine bay. A 5" length of pipe quitre badly corroded underneath the plastic sheath.
Not an easy place to work on, so I removed the whole pipe out through the engine bay (uncoupled from the fuel tank end), cut out the corroded section and replaced with a 6" length of fuel injection hose clamped at each end with two small jubilee clips just to be safe. No leaks and no smell of petrol since.
I still think its odd that only that section corroded, it wasn't contacting anything and the rest of the pipe was mint.

Yes that sounds the same, the guys at the garage thought the clip was retaining water and therefore would corrode around that area. ithought it was an odd one as couldnt find any info and assumed it would be a common issue.