Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Rear diff removal? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=261397)

Shadow90 Dec 29th, 2016 12:02

Rear diff removal?

Anyone know of a good write up or know what's involved in changing the rear differential?
mine is whining I've got a replacement and I'm going to change it now over holidays but would like to see what's involved as opposed to wasting time removing bits that's not needed lol
Tia

sreviz Dec 29th, 2016 19:03

Are you going to replace the whole unit or just the parts?

dstc Dec 29th, 2016 22:24

Rear subframe removal

I need to fit new rear subframe bushes on our 53 reg D5 and change the OSR wheel bearing. Definitely keen to see everyone's thoughts on this. There are so many bolts underneath. Most of them will be seized or rounded off. I can't remember if the XC90 has tripod shafts for the rear driveshafts to bolt to, or if they mesh into the rear diff with spline shafts like the bevel gear.

Apart from undoing brake lines & cables perhaps it's just a case of removing the lower shock bolt, rear drop links and prop shaft. Of course I'll be doing this on the driveway. I've adapted a pair of car moving dollies for a makeshift cradle to move the subframe out.

Shadow90 Dec 30th, 2016 01:05

I've an entire replacement diff,hardest complete unit I've changed haldex filter and oil I've also change drive seals all I need do now get old unit out replacement in fill diff oil.
Is it a drop rear crossmember job or does it fit out around it?
Really needing this info guys this car can't be off the road more than couple days tops!

Tia

Rooster Dec 30th, 2016 20:20

There is loads of room round the rear diff but they are a pain to actually remove,

The rear subframe doesn't have to come off but it has to be lowered on its mounting bolts,

All the rear hubs have to be unbolted from lower arms to allow driveshafts to be removed,

Its not a job i would fancy doing on floor on drive

Shadow90 Dec 30th, 2016 21:31

Just in from completing the switch�� It's not the biggest job in the world but a pain all the same lol
Thanks for the replies rooster your right on what needs done too late for me thou lol thought I'd do a poor basic write up for anyone searching for info in future��
Started off undoing suspension arm bolts at the hubs so as the half shafts can be removed then undone the main drive shaft bolts and wire to dem,I then removed the top brace from the crossmember and popped out the half shafts then removed the 3 bolts holding the diff following I loosened the 2 rear bolts on the subframe dropping the rear of subframe about an inch n half just enough room to take the diff up and out from rear ������
Change the dem and I also had to change input flange as mine was thicker than replacement refit is reverse of removal followed by oil top ups.

And following 6 hrs of work I now have a non whining diff and a fully functioning awd system happy days����������������

Quick check off fluid levels in morn and keep an eye for any leaks and that's another fault fixed in the never ending cycle of xc90 problems lol great vehicle when they're going but constant yearly faults of one kind or another ������

sreviz Dec 30th, 2016 22:46

Thank you for your input Shadow90.

cpu_man Dec 30th, 2018 12:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow90 (Post 2215000)
Just in from completing the switch�� It's not the biggest job in the world but a pain all the same lol
Thanks for the replies rooster your right on what needs done too late for me thou lol thought I'd do a poor basic write up for anyone searching for info in future��
Started off undoing suspension arm bolts at the hubs so as the half shafts can be removed then undone the main drive shaft bolts and wire to dem,I then removed the top brace from the crossmember and popped out the half shafts then removed the 3 bolts holding the diff following I loosened the 2 rear bolts on the subframe dropping the rear of subframe about an inch n half just enough room to take the diff up and out from rear ������
Change the dem and I also had to change input flange as mine was thicker than replacement refit is reverse of removal followed by oil top ups.

And following 6 hrs of work I now have a non whining diff and a fully functioning awd system happy days����������������

Quick check off fluid levels in morn and keep an eye for any leaks and that's another fault fixed in the never ending cycle of xc90 problems lol great vehicle when they're going but constant yearly faults of one kind or another ������

What was your symptom of the Whining diff, I am having a whinkng/drone noise from rear bit only at 60mph and ONLY with very light throttle?

Harley Dave Dec 30th, 2018 16:13

OP's last post on this thread was exactly(!) 2 years ago and he was last on-line more than a year ago

Chances are he's not going to be getting back to you

Cheers

Dave

cpu_man Dec 30th, 2018 16:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harley Dave (Post 2480155)
OP's last post on this thread was exactly(!) 2 years ago and he was last on-line more than a year ago

Chances are he's not going to be getting back to you

Cheers

Dave

Dam, thank you for letting me know.