Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Headphone transmitter on XC90 Rear 10 DVD changer (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=77322)

growbotham Jul 29th, 2009 13:13

Headphone transmitter on XC90 Rear 10 DVD changer

Has anyone tried changing the transmitter for the headphones fitted on the side of the 10 DVD unit in the boot of their XC90?

I have a 55 XC90 with the dealer fitted DVD system in the boot, and the supplied Thompson headphones have fallen to bits after 3 years of abuse from my children.

I ordered one of these from Ebay thinking they covered the same frequency as the original headphones - however they dont come with a tuning dial on the side of the headphones.

Instead they include a dedicated transmitter, which also serves to charge the headphones.

There is a transmitter on the side of the unit in the boot - presumably for the Thompson headphones.

I wondered if anyone has tried to take this off and replace it with another transmitter for different headphones - and if so, what tips they could pass on - and pitfalls to avoid!!

Cheers in advance!

Gurj Jul 29th, 2009 20:47

When I got my 05 XC90 I did buy a set of phillips headphones to add a 3rd listener, but as you say the tuning was problematic. I took them back to argos.

What I have in my car is a 10disc DVD changer which connects to two thomson transmitters, one near the changer and one nearer the rear seats. The supplied thomson headphones are able to tune to each of the two transmitters when one is playing a DVD and the other is say playing a PS2 game. In the end I managed to find a cheap second hand thompson headphone to match the other two.

Assuming the supply voltage and connector are the same you could give the new transmitter a go. You may also have a second trasmitter in the car, so you may need to ensure that isn't used if the headphones can't choose the carrier they use.

Just noticed that Aldi have something similar tomorrow in my area. These run off of 12V and the headphones should be OK with duracells rather than charging too - more because rechargables discharge too quickly when not used :-(

http://uk.aldi.com/uk/html/offers/2827_10710.htm

Just my 2 pence worth ;-)

growbotham Jul 29th, 2009 22:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gurj (Post 539343)
When I got my 05 XC90 I did buy a set of phillips headphones to add a 3rd listener, but as you say the tuning was problematic. I took them back to argos.

What I have in my car is a 10disc DVD changer which connects to two thomson transmitters, one near the changer and one nearer the rear seats. The supplied thomson headphones are able to tune to each of the two transmitters when one is playing a DVD and the other is say playing a PS2 game. In the end I managed to find a cheap second hand thompson headphone to match the other two.

Assuming the supply voltage and connector are the same you could give the new transmitter a go. You may also have a second trasmitter in the car, so you may need to ensure that isn't used if the headphones can't choose the carrier they use.

Just noticed that Aldi have something similar tomorrow in my area. These run off of 12V and the headphones should be OK with duracells rather than charging too - more because rechargables discharge too quickly when not used :-(

Interesting - thanks for that!

Did you install the 2nd tramsitter yourself or was it in there already? I dont think we have two on ours (may check over the weekend!)

The Aldi option looks interesting - the frequency is the same as the Thompson headsets (863 MHz) so could try that as an alternative.

Gurj Jul 30th, 2009 22:50

The 2nd transmitter was already there, should be standard when you have an AUX input in the 3rd row armrest. Its the only way two screen can be used at the same time with different audio.

Hope the Aldi headphones work OK.

elliott2 Aug 3rd, 2009 22:02

Headpnones for rear seat entertainment

Hi Guys, I am the original designer of the 10 disc system for Volvo UK, if you are still having problems please let me know, I have a couple of different options, Peter

Derek UK Aug 4th, 2009 11:15

To Gurj
Uniross Hybrio and Sanyo Eneloop rechargeable batteries (see Amazon or eBay) hold their charge for many months with only a few % of loss. Not much more expensive than "normal" rechargeables. Ideal for digital cameras that only get used now and then. A spare set of these batteries kept in the car will be fine to use 6-9months after charging.

chf Aug 5th, 2009 17:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gurj (Post 539343)

I noticed the thompson headphones have a connector so that it cna be charged but I always wondered where from !!! Is there any wiring from the DVD changer or the Thompson transmitter they could connect to for charging ?

elliott2 Aug 8th, 2009 22:50

headphone charging

Hi, no there is not, the charging port on the headphone sender unit connect via a wire to the headphone, the lead was not included as the chargers are not really accesable. One option I supply to my clients is IR headphone up grade, these are easier to supply and they switch of when they do not receiv a signal, so the batteries last longer. Peter

Fleur Aug 20th, 2009 21:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by elliott2 (Post 541582)
Hi Guys, I am the original designer of the 10 disc system for Volvo UK, if you are still having problems please let me know, I have a couple of different options, Peter

I have a 2004 model with 10 disk DVD - can you tell me what cheaper headphones would work as I would like to buy an additional pair of headphones? THANKS :wac_wub:

elliott2 Aug 23rd, 2009 21:37

rear seat entertainment headphones

Hi, I do a set for £59.99 + P&P, please PM me if you are interested