Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   XC60 Tyres (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=297691)

marsdalebear Aug 17th, 2019 11:33

XC60 Tyres

I am going to change the front tyres on my 16 XC60 next month at 17500 miles. I intend to move the rears to the front and the new tyres on the rear.
Now I realise that tyre preferences are subjective but would welcome views on the "best" tyres to get.
Not looking for outright hyper dry grip performance, well past that life stage, but fuel mileage and wet grip are probably high on my requirements list
All season tyres seem to offer some advantages?
I am currently on Pirrelli Scorpion Verde, not at all impressed and my thinking is to change brand on one axle now and match the other axle next year.

alf27 Aug 17th, 2019 13:05

Got a set of used Nokian Weatherproof on mine, (2008) XC60, bought them with approx 7mm left, now done 23000ish miles & they are down to 3mm. I find them good in wet conditions, no applicable pull through one sided deep puddles not too much noise on motorway dry conditions , so all in all would be very happy to replace with the same, recently got a quote of £140 each fully fitted for 235/60/10/107s so not the cheapest available but not the most expensive either, btw got my set of 4 second hand for £100 + £10 each for fitting & balance at my local Protyre so may be worth looking on e-bay etc.

PS had the same Pirrelli on when I got the car but also didn't rate them.

marsdalebear Aug 18th, 2019 23:13

Decided to go Michelin, either Latitude or Cross Climate depending on further research.

XC90Mk1 Aug 18th, 2019 23:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by marsdalebear (Post 2546009)
Decided to go Michelin, either Latitude or Cross Climate depending on further research.

I bought cross climates. They were or are as good as anything I have used in summer, quiet, smooth and refined. In snow they are outstanding! They also seem to last ages and ages.

Buy them! You

HDAV Aug 20th, 2019 20:29

My oem contis have done 32k except for the months on the Nokia suv3 winters and have been rotated....was hoping to get another year out of the current 8 tyres.........the Nokians were used when I got them......

When they are all done thinking of changing to cross climates save the hassle of changing twice a year

marsdalebear Aug 20th, 2019 21:44

Gone down the Cross Climate route. £240 for 2 tyres fitted from ATS.

AndyJudge Aug 21st, 2019 08:41

I have cross climates on mine.

Fitted 18,000 miles ago all 4 wearing at pretty much the same rate as measured at the service at the weekend & about 4.5 - 5mm all round still.

Used mainly on the Motorways in all weathers, defo will be getting another set if required (unless I swap the car 1st)

I run the Eco Pressure -1 psi all around

jasmith44 Aug 21st, 2019 15:48

I run the Eco Pressure -1 psi all around[/QUOTE]

That's a bit low innit.:teeth_smile:

Dash300 Aug 21st, 2019 17:55

I have just had Crossclimates fitted to replace my Goodyear Wranglers.
The problem I have is that having a FWD XC60 the rear tyres do little but brake while the fronts both drive an brake. The effect on my tyre tread is exacerbated by the fact that I do a considerable amount of hill work so heavy driving work up for fronts and heavy braking down for both with fronts doing the majority. Add to this that I tow a considerable number of miles and the effect on my tyre tread is that the rear tyres 'block' or 'sawtooth' fairly quickly as all they do is brake. It's not a particular problem save for the droning noise that this creates much like a wheel bearing going. I do the tyre rotation as suggested by Oponeo for this effect which does help. I am just hoping a change of tread pattern might reduce the effect. Too early to comment on the tyre yet but the silence is golden!

HDAV Aug 21st, 2019 23:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dash300 (Post 2546863)
and the effect on my tyre tread is that the rear tyres 'block' or 'sawtooth' fairly quickly as all they do is brake. It's not a particular problem save for the droning noise that this creates much like a wheel bearing going.

Hmmm my winter nokians have feathered (stepped wear patten) I thought it was an alignment issue so had car hunter aligned.... may be worth having an alignment done now car is on fresh rubber.....

Reminds me i need to check the winters out.....time for a trip to the shed....