Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Just Acquired a mint C70 'vert (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=332918)

Familyman 90 May 23rd, 2023 17:08

Just Acquired a mint C70 'vert

1 Attachment(s)
2005 GT Collection, 2.4 LPT, 44,000 miles, two owners, previous concours entrant. Arguably the best trim and engine combo for the ragtop. I defy anyone to find a better one.

And it only cost £2000!

I wasn't looking to buy but when I saw the ad in the newsagents window I couldn't get round there quickly enough. I now have a fair weather, summer months toy for taking to shows and Sunday drive outs.

ITSv40 May 23rd, 2023 20:54

That does look a good buy. Are you sure that is a 'collection' spec? It is missing the centre dash top speaker for the premium Dolby surround sound.

Agree on the engine spec as the turbo.kicks in at much lower revs than the T5 that everyone raves about and makes for a very useable drive.

Familyman 90 May 24th, 2023 06:49

It's GT Collection spec. As well as the V5 he's given me all the original sales bumpf, and the Otrera rims were unique to the Collection on the C70.

Looking at the brochure there appears to have been some latitude for choice in the level of Dynaudio kit, seat colours, etc. The Pro-Logic centre speaker was an option on the Collection, standard on the straight GT. I see from your sig you're a C70 man, could email you the tech-spec brochure it you're interested.

It just fits in the garage. It'll get some use over half term - Mrs Family and works in a school - then ill spend a few days detailing it back to concours level. I'll get it in the air and do the undercarriage. Fortunately with only 40k miles, nearly all of those dry, it's very smart underneath. The only time it's ever been driven in the rain was if the weather was shabby when the pre-booked MOT rolled around.

ITSv40 May 24th, 2023 09:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Familyman 90 (Post 2896986)
It's GT Collection spec. As well as the V5 he's given me all the original sales bumpf, and the Otrera rims were unique to the Collection on the C70.

Looking at the brochure there appears to have been some latitude for choice in the level of Dynaudio kit, seat colours, etc. The Pro-Logic centre speaker was an option on the Collection, standard on the straight GT. I see from your sig you're a C70 man, could email you the tech-spec brochure it you're interested.

It just fits in the garage. It'll get some use over half term - Mrs Family and works in a school - then ill spend a few days detailing it back to concours level. I'll get it in the air and do the undercarriage. Fortunately with only 40k miles, nearly all of those dry, it's very smart underneath. The only time it's ever been driven in the rain was if the weather was shabby when the pre-booked MOT rolled around.

That all sounds good👍I only questioned the spec as all collections I have seen had the centre speakers I assumed it was standard as with the GT..

Steve440 May 24th, 2023 14:21

Wow that’s a good buy😳😳 wish had the space to keep one of these☹️ all I can ever find down here are manual 2.0T’s and rusty to boot😬

Familyman 90 May 24th, 2023 15:12

Guy I bought it off is selling his plane as well if anyone wants it! His daily is an XX90 T8, so he's doing alright for himself I guess.

Familyman 90 May 26th, 2023 09:22

Decided that while I intend to maintain it diligently, I'm not going to show it so practicality and protection take precedence over beautifying it to make concours judges happy. So, once I've cleaned the underside I'm going to Lanoshield the lot. I've got some 3M cavity goo so I'll do the box sections, doors etc, over the next month or so.

Familyman 90 May 26th, 2023 11:13

And more good news. The road tax is £675, which I can afford but would rather not. Who doesn't have something better to spend that type of money on?

I was planning to tax it for 6 months annually, likely April through to the end of September, when Mrs Familyman came up with an idea.

She is disabled, walks with a stick and on her worst days is a wheelchair user. She's entitled to free road tax on one car, but as her Electric MINI has free road tax anyway we have never bothered with it.

Well, off to the Post office she toddled this morning with the V5, insurance and her PIP paperwork, and its now in the disabled road tax class so will cost £00.00. It meant registering it in her name rather than mine but I think my ego can handle it.

I don't have a moral quandary over it as she'll likely be driving it more than me anyway, and as such was also insured with her as main driver.

Meanwhile I've noticed a rattle coming from within the drivers door. I'll whip the door trim off at the weekend and have a look.

cam May 27th, 2023 05:06

Great looking car just in time for summer, nice one, cam.

Tannaton May 27th, 2023 09:38

They're great cars.... I'm on my third, but I only have T5 manuals.

They look so much better with black leather as a 20 year old cars, but they're hard to find.

I might change mine yet as it's got a few miles on and it's not the most sound one I've had, I might look at a 2.4 rather than a T5 and get it mapped - the 240 T5 is laggy by modern standards.

And probably the very best seats ever fitted to a production car....

FYI I think the tax is £395 - the k band of ved is the maximum for pre March 2006 cars?