Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   What water to use with coolant? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=306137)

BlueRubber May 19th, 2020 16:00

What water to use with coolant?

Would like to flush out my coolant system as the coolant is already a light brown colour and it was changed this time last year.

What water should I mix with the Volvo coolant, deionised or distilled?

Also, should I do a chemical flush or just flush it with water?

PS I don't think the coolant system has ever been flushed and the car is a 2002 with 145,000 miles.

Dancake May 19th, 2020 16:10

Distilled water is your first choice, followed by deionised if you can't get distilled. I would avoid using flushing agents unless there is a known issue with the cooling system. Refresh the coolant a couple of times making sure it circulates adequately between changes.

Wagon Sailor May 19th, 2020 17:16

There's lots of chalk in our water locally, so there may be a case for using something else, but I don't see a lot wrong with domestic mains water in many other parts of the country.

BorderVolvo May 19th, 2020 17:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wagon Sailor (Post 2630297)
There's lots of chalk in our water locally, so there may be a case for using something else, but I don't see a lot wrong with domestic mains water in many other parts of the country.

^^^^ If your water supply is soft, fine. Hard water....not so good.

Bonefishblues May 19th, 2020 17:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by BorderVolvo (Post 2630319)
^^^^ If your water supply is soft, fine. Hard water....not so good.

Boil it, perhaps?

DunkinBiskits May 19th, 2020 18:00

have you got a non gen water pump fitted? seen these end up with rusty impellers within 3 months and turn coolant brown

BlueRubber May 19th, 2020 19:17

I live in a hard water area so cannot use tap water.

As far as I know, it's on the OEM water pump.

cheshired5 May 20th, 2020 18:32

Drain then flush forwards and backwards with tap water, flush with distilled or deionised water then fill with 50% of capacity with neat coolant then top up with distilled/deionised.

The full process is on my YouTube channel and my coolant is still as clean and green as it was 5 years ago when the video was made.

BlueRubber May 20th, 2020 19:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheshired5 (Post 2630654)
Drain then flush forwards and backwards with tap water, flush with distilled or deionised water then fill with 50% of capacity with neat coolant then top up with distilled/deionised.

The full process is on my YouTube channel and my coolant is still as clean and green as it was 5 years ago when the video was made.

Thanks for the info, just found your video, really good as ever!:teeth_smile:

barrybritcher May 22nd, 2020 11:33

5 litres of water from local motor factors usually about £2.50 so pick up a tenners worth