Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Towing and Caravan Topics (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Lock n Level..... anyone have or used one ? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=283425)

colinbos Jun 26th, 2018 16:02

Lock n Level..... anyone have or used one ?

Ive just bought a new caravan... a rather heavy 1400kg empty, 1680 loaded Adria Adora.

It has a motor mover (ive never had one before) and im looking forward to using that.

I always find levelling a faff, and I haven't got a caravan jack, so I thought Id try one of these... anyone got or used one ?

Any good ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7GejeQPweU

Brankster Jun 26th, 2018 23:07

I have been caravanning for the last 6 years and never had any problem getting my caravan level. when I first started I did until this older guy told me to use the jockey wheel to get it level and from then on it's been a breeze. I usually get a super pitch which are pretty level anyway. With the jockey wheel, you get it level front to back and I have never found it difficult to get the sides level. Our last van had a motor mover so got a new one for our new caravan. Makes life so much easier and could nt do without it.

colinbos Jun 27th, 2018 10:58

I like to use CL sites... basically a field with amenities... so the grass isn't always bowling green level.

The down side is you have to get side to side level always... the upside is less than 5 caravans in some outstanding areas.

The motor mover is something Im really looking forward to. If not only for getting it on the drive without needing help !

outnumbered Jun 28th, 2018 21:46

I use one for the twin axle, does what it says on the tin .if on gravel i place a small runner just to protect the underneath.

a bit expensive but you can get the height spot on on the press of a button.
Mike

colinbos Jul 4th, 2018 10:54

Thanks Mike. Ive taken the plunge. Ill get an old rubber car mat for underneath when on gravel too.

green van man Jul 7th, 2018 07:23

Interesting as I've not seen them before.

My method is to use the motor mover to climb a wedge in the downhill side. Put wedge behind wheel so that tendency is to run forward against brakes.
Once level engage handbrake and take van back on mover to lock brakes off. Van is usually now still within the bubble side to side. Use jockey wheel to level fore and aft, drop legs and disengage mover, put kettle on.

With my luck a puncture would be inevitable, I'd not notice and bend the chassis or something equally as expensive.

Paul.

davidedwinleroy Sep 4th, 2018 10:04

Our 'van has an ALCO chassis. My method is to use an ALCO hydraulic jack and their patent attachable lifting points bolted to the chassis rails just to the rear of the axle each side, for E-W leveling. Leave in place. The N-S is done with the jockey wheel post. Then drop the corner steadies, and all done in 5 minutes.

green van man Sep 4th, 2018 17:43

It's not just the leveling I've found, the new van has a wheel lock, getting it level with a wedge is easy, getting it level and being able to fit the wheel lock is quite another matter.

To simplify matters I invested £119 in one of those lock and level devises and a further £7.99 for a waterproof door mat to ensure no punctures in gravel pitches. Scottish trip will see it used for the first time, sure the 7 year old grandson will enjoy the new technology now utilised when pitching, he mastered the motor movers some while ago, while his 4 year old sister is a dab hand at corner steady winding.

Paul.

ksmi Sep 4th, 2018 18:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by green van man (Post 2444574)
It's not just the leveling I've found, the new van has a wheel lock, getting it level with a wedge is easy, getting it level and being able to fit the wheel lock is quite another matter.

To simplify matters I invested £119 in one of those lock and level devises and a further £7.99 for a waterproof door mat to ensure no punctures in gravel pitches. Scottish trip will see it used for the first time, sure the 7 year old grandson will enjoy the new technology now utilised when pitching, he mastered the motor movers some while ago, while his 4 year old sister is a dab hand at corner steady winding.

Paul.

Leave them to it then Paul, whilst you get the kettle on early. (milk no sugar please)

Regards.Keith.

green van man Sep 25th, 2018 20:34

Used the lock and level on the Scotland trip I've just returned from. Does what it says on the tin.
However, had a storm whilst on site and wind lifted the van such that the blocks under the rear stabilisers were displaced, this in turn allowed the cushion/ van to move from its centerd position and the wheel ended up more to the rear of the mat. Despite this occuranse the bubbles in the spirit level still sat within the marks.

Overall impressed with ease of use and ruggedness of the lock and level.

Paul.