Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Thermostat - 87 or 92degree'sC? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=8005)

Matt 850 GLT Aug 11th, 2005 09:08

Thermostat - 87 or 92degree'sC?

Hi

This is probably trivial for most people but what is the correct thermostat rating for a 93 2.0 20v GLT?

I am being offered either 87 or 92'C. What is the difference to running either?
Thanks
Matt

bobcat Aug 11th, 2005 11:43

RE: Thermostat - 87 or 92degree'sC?

dosent really matter which one you use, if you drive it hard then go for the 87.

when i next change mine i will be going for an 87 as i have a turbo and lower temps is always a good thing, within reason!

Matt 850 GLT Aug 11th, 2005 13:17

Thanks

Will the lower temp alter the emissions?

Matt

bobcat Aug 11th, 2005 13:48

no it shouldnt, its only a few degs.

imac Aug 11th, 2005 15:05

Hi Bobcat,

My temp guage currently sits just above the middle mark, if I change to an 87 deg tstat, would this bring the needle down to the centre mark?

What tstat *should* a '98 T5 have fitted? I know it doesn't make any difference in real-life, but I'm just interested to know what they came with out of the factory!

Anyone?

bobcat Aug 11th, 2005 15:16

hi darren,

good to see you popped in.

mine also sits just above 3 o clock, whereas my old 850 t5 sat at 3.

Im not sure what t-stat you should have, but my current t-stat was fitted by my volvo mechanic when i had a cracked housing. so i believe i must have the 92 one.

when i got a glance of vadis at my local volvo dealer ;-) they just list the 87 and 92 in the parts screen, but dont seem to say what one is recomended.

from what i read over the years it seem that most have the 92 stat, but im gonna go to an 87 when i change my coolant hoses and renew the coolant. with a turbo charged engine and the way i drive its better to be cooler.

pozzy Aug 11th, 2005 15:17

no it wont, the stat fitment is depedendant on market both are suitable, obviously if your in a cold region a higher opening temp wil assist warm up, for intents and purposes it wont matter a toss in the uk, (were only talking 5 degrees or so for gods sake), why do some think the stat opening temp will somehow effect normal engine running temp?

Matt 850 GLT Aug 11th, 2005 15:24

Thanks for your replies.

I just got my new t-stat and it is rated 87...The one the came out was rated 92. Interestingly, the new one doesn't fit with the seal it came supplied with, so I re-used the old seal. So far no leaks.

Temp guage sits just below 3 O'clock. Previously, it sat at 3 O'clock.

Matt

bobcat Aug 11th, 2005 15:32

>Thanks for your replies.
>
>I just got my new t-stat and it is rated 87...The one the came
>out was rated 92. Interestingly, the new one doesn't fit with
>the seal it came supplied with, so I re-used the old seal. So
>far no leaks.
>
>Temp guage sits just below 3 O'clock. Previously, it sat at 3
>O'clock.
>
>Matt

im guessing then that your new t-stat was a non-volvo one?

just in case you didnt know, the t-stat sits inside the seal. the seal has a groove on the inside that the t-stat sits in.

but nice to see you t-stat makes the car run a bit cooler, 87 it is then!

just a personal veiw for others reading this, get a volvo t-stat and seal. ive tried others and the seals are poo! for something as critical as a t-stat dont scrimp!

sholtby Aug 11th, 2005 17:32

The seals from ECP are rubbish, I reused mine also.

Simon