Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Does the new V60 have a spare wheel? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=286538)

anton differing Sep 17th, 2018 21:14

Does the new V60 have a spare wheel?

I rather fancy this car, but I'm a bit old-fashioned, in that I like to have a spare wheel. It seems to me that the new V60 not only doesn't have one, but also no place for one. Does this mean that it has run-flat tyres, a can of goop or do Volvos simply never get punctures?

P.S. Just answered my own question - sort of. The Volvo Switzerland site doesn't mention a spare wheel - but I had a peek at the Volvo UK site, and it does! So I presume that the Swiss site has somehow not included it - or perhaps it's model-dependent, the way that some engines are only available with certain models. Can't think why though.

P.P.S. Spare wheel appears on the Swiss site - IF you don't select the Twin Engine variant. Could this be where the batteries go?

Spike56 Sep 18th, 2018 12:52

If not...….. https://www.volvopartshop.com/space-...17-10679-p.asp

And this...… https://www.volvopartshop.com/storag...cc-16113-p.asp

Fursty Ferret Sep 18th, 2018 13:47

I’ve just looked in my new V60 and no spare wheel. You might be able to wedge a space saver in the storage bin under the boot floor though.

anton differing Sep 18th, 2018 15:57

Gents, thank you for the answers! I am so neurotic that, in addition to the space-saver spare, I carry a full-size spare on long trips in my V40. I have this nightmare of getting a puncture in the middle of France en route to the ferry to Ireland, and I don't want to be restricted to 80kmh. A space-saver would be perfect for problems within Swizzieland.

anton differing Sep 18th, 2018 16:10

P.S. I think I may have done something daft - I looked today at the twin engine V60 and the spare wheel was there! So clearly the space is not occupied by batteries.

On the other hand, sometimes the Swiss website does strange things - I sometimes find that the photos of the options are qualified by a description that belongs to an entirely different option. It's as if a photo (or two?) has disappeared, and all the captions have jumped one or two places to totally unrelated photos. I wonder whether this is a universal problem.

XC90Mk1 Sep 18th, 2018 16:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by anton differing (Post 2448845)
Gents, thank you for the answers! I am so neurotic that, in addition to the space-saver spare, I carry a full-size spare on long trips in my V40. I have this nightmare of getting a puncture in the middle of France en route to the ferry to Ireland, and I don't want to be restricted to 80kmh. A space-saver would be perfect for problems within Swizzieland.

I have been driving now for near 20 years and have probably stuck 400,000 miles on cars including off roading. In all that time I have had 1 puncture which a can of goo would have fixed.

Don't worry about it! I always use top quality Tyres however Gioodyear, Michelin etc.

anton differing Sep 18th, 2018 20:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 (Post 2448861)
I have been driving now for near 20 years and have probably stuck 400,000 miles on cars including off roading. In all that time I have had 1 puncture which a can of goo would have fixed.

Don't worry about it! I always use top quality Tyres however Gioodyear, Michelin etc.

Thanks for the comment. In over 50 years' driving on three continents, including the Australian Outback, I've had a few punctures - as you say, with good tyres, they're a rarity, but they do occur. And my last one, a torn sidewall, no amount of goo would have fixed. Thankfully, I had a spare.

I realise I'm perhaps overcautious, but I'm a great believer in Vegitius's Si vis pacem, para bellum (if you want peace, prepare for war).

Spike56 Sep 18th, 2018 23:40

You may not need what you do have but you can't use what you don't have!

Like the lottery, you may not win but if you do.......

Baxlin Sep 19th, 2018 08:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fursty Ferret (Post 2448801)
I’ve just looked in my new V60 and no spare wheel. You might be able to wedge a space saver in the storage bin under the boot floor though.

Mmm, there’s the story of the Porsche having a puncture, putting the spacesaver on, but the road wheel being too large to fit where the SS was. With a passenger and luggage, there was no option but to call the RAC to transport the road wheel....

I may have posted this before, but my last car was a Lexus hybrid, with the batteries under the boot floor, so no spare. But they did thoughtfully provide a neatly folded heavy duty plastic bag, labelled "place your punctured road wheel in this bag so as not to dirty the boot".

Presumably then drive on 3 wheels, Citroen DS style?

Foxwhelp Feb 15th, 2019 09:17

V60 Twin Engine Variant - spare wheel

Hi, just to confirm, the V60 twin engine variant does have a spare wheel? I am going to buy one and thought it worth double checking...

Quote:

Originally Posted by anton differing (Post 2448850)
P.S. I think I may have done something daft - I looked today at the twin engine V60 and the spare wheel was there! So clearly the space is not occupied by batteries.

On the other hand, sometimes the Swiss website does strange things - I sometimes find that the photos of the options are qualified by a description that belongs to an entirely different option. It's as if a photo (or two?) has disappeared, and all the captions have jumped one or two places to totally unrelated photos. I wonder whether this is a universal problem.