Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Motor holiday to France (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=290768)

SignumGB Jan 17th, 2019 23:03

Motor holiday to France

Hi,

I am travelling to North West France in the car later in the year for 2 weeks of holiday. We will be taking the ferry over. Any hints/tips? Ie, no Union Jack stickers on the back of the car as I hear Frenchie don't like our flag much and don't want my Volvo keyed/damaged. How are the motorway tolls (Brittany)?

Cheers

I Feel Old Jan 17th, 2019 23:17

Ye'll be welcomed with a Saltire.:teeth_smile:

Have great time.

Teilo1979 Jan 18th, 2019 07:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by I Feel Old (Post 2486058)
Ye'll be welcomed with a Saltire.:teeth_smile:

Have great time.

Agree whole heartidly with this, Saltire on mine and Union Jack on other car in our group. Mine was fine other one keyed within 6 hours. Parked next to each other while at our first stop for lunch.

Terry

Julianpms Jan 18th, 2019 08:02

You'll find toll info (in English) at autoroutes.fr : just enter your route details.
Otherwise, my main recommendation now would be to watch very carefully the information available from the UK and French governments in the event of a no-deal Brexit (sorry to mention the B-word!). It is likely that you will need an International Driving Permit (IDP) in addition to your UK licence. Check your insurance cover carefully with your insurer. If you plan on taking a pet, the current PETS scheme may be suspended if there is no deal, and new arrangements will apply, at least temporarily.
Please accept this advice in the spirit it is given, i.e. to help you enjoy a trouble-free trip by taking a few sensible precautions. I have lived outside the UK for 25 years and have no wish to engage in a political discussion.

Markos01 Jan 18th, 2019 09:07

Do you still need a breathalyser kit in the car and hi-viz vest for each occupant in France?

I had the EU blue 'GB' flag on my number plate which has been fine every time I've been to France, although once another car I was with had a big 'GB' sticker on his boot lid and he definitely seemed to get arsey behaviour on the motorways whilst I got none!

rustytoba Jan 18th, 2019 09:14

Hi,

A drive to france all the time I love it all my cars have plane number plates, I always use a white 'GB' plate I carry two pairs of 'NF' breathalizers, spare specticles and a hi-vis all inside the car as the driver is expected to be already wearing the hi-vis when you leave the vehicle to change your spare (if your car has one).

Peage or toll roads are a really valuable tool they are main!y on the autoroutes where most of the services are also take advantage of the thousands of aire thare are areas off the autorote and a lot of the D roads that have toilets, bins and water.

Have fun and enjoy remember France is just as bemused with brexit as we are drive and live as though it never happened.

Scott

xsaab Jan 18th, 2019 10:53

Best plan is to get a transponder that will operate on all the French motorways, you then get billed to your bank account or credit card. Saves fumbling with Euro notes and queuing behind all the other peoplpe without a transponder.

See

https://www.emovis-tag.co.uk/

Whippy Jan 18th, 2019 11:17

Second the above, I find mine invaluable, the joy of using the 30kph lane at the tolls is worth it on its own!. No radar detectors, car may be confiscated. Drink driving will result in confiscation. Speeding fines payed at the roadside. Radars everywhere now as well as speed detection in unmarked cars prevalent. 30kph zones with aggressive speed humps are everywhere now. Yellow jackets to be in car at all times, breathalysers are supposed to be carried, but they can't fine you if you don't. The French now work with the DVLA to track down offenders so you can't duck like you used to. Having said that, great roads, smooth tarmac, wonderful clear signage, brilliant peage road system, little traffic outside cities, lovely rest stops (often with fuel and restaurants) every few km make France a dream driving experience. Enjoy..

AndyJudge Jan 18th, 2019 12:15

I did a trip to the German Grand Prix last year via the Tunnel.

1) High viz for all occupants in the car, I know the rule is(or Was) driver only but we put them in the door pockets to be safe.

2) Car has the EU plates with the GB Tag so no need for a GB sticker

3) Set Lights to RH Operation

3) There so much discussion on the Breathalyzers I got 2 to be safe but ensure they're NF marked

4) Speed Camera warnings disappear IIRC in France (Illegal) but worth checking they are switched off

5) Watch your speed like a hawk around the ports, the police are very hot on relieving tourists of their Euros

Roads are fab, we didn't use the toll routes but the slightly increased limit over the UK, less traffic & seemingly better road sense made the miles fly by. Services on the whole are much better as well

rustytoba Jan 18th, 2019 12:17

Aye cant wait till I'm 115 and can afford to retire to visit more often than I do these days, blasted family have me fully booked for everywhere but France for about the next ice age.

Scott