Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   S40 (New) Engine 2.0D : Actually 1.6d. Snapped glow plug, Head Gasket Enquiry (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=290837)

KevMan2015 Jan 19th, 2019 19:33

Actually 1.6d. Snapped glow plug, Head Gasket Enquiry

Hi, Tried changing the glow plugs, snapped the first one. now require head removing as its just the tip left.
My issue is i want all parts there so i can get cracked on, but dont know what thickness my head gasket is, so...would it matter if i just stuck the thickest one on?
Or is it easy to see notches without stripping down first?
Any info/guidance appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Bloders2 Jan 20th, 2019 07:23

As you know, a head gasket replacement is not a tqo minute job.
Id be very surprised if you coudl get all parts ready, as often you damage a clip here, find an extra worn part there and the like.
Id just strip it down, get to a know position, then order all parts needed to rebuild.
Parts are readily available, so its not as though you need to back order something and wait a week.

Tannaton Jan 20th, 2019 07:47

Can be a long job, especially if you strip and clean everything along the way, which you should. You may as well do the timing belt at the same time (unless it’s reltively new). Could easily be 10-15 hours for a home mechanic, often hampered by stuck injectors.

Full gasket kits with the bolts start around £100, and some suppliers sell only the thickest gasket as a generic will fit all. I’m not sure what the performance compromise would be of fitting a thicker one but given the trouble the manufacturer goes to to fit the exact one - there must be one?

KevMan2015 Jan 20th, 2019 08:40

Thanks guys, I priced up parts yesterday, timing belt kit, chain kit, gasket set with bolts, t/stat and associated filters and fluids, looking about 300 notes.

KBB Jan 20th, 2019 10:08

May be cheaper and quicker to purchase a glow plug extraction tool.

KevMan2015 Jan 20th, 2019 10:52

It is just the electrode (tip) left in, I fear if I put pressure on it will drop into the cylinder, and it’s No 1 at timing end, so not very accessible.

Bloders2 Jan 20th, 2019 19:02

has anyone used a glowpug extractor tool?
Ive a 1.6 16 valve engine to look at soon which someone has snapped 2 glowplugs off.
Not seen it yet, but was woundering whether to leave it as is, or if I could get some weld on the end to build up and get hold of it?

KevMan2015 Jan 21st, 2019 18:58

Bloders2, I have just ordered an electrode extraction tool of eBay, due end of week. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Black dog Jan 22nd, 2019 19:59

Ive used them countless times laser do a great one. Problem on the 1.6d is access with drill as they are at the back of the head.

KevMan2015 Jan 22nd, 2019 20:03

I have a 90 degree chuck attachment for my drill, hopefully I’ll be able to get in.